News:

20,000th post winners: ReBurninator and Dazie. Enjoy your diseases!

Main Menu

New Orleans Saints defeat Atlanta Falcons

Started by swolt, September 25, 2006, 11:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swolt

In the first game in the Superdome since hurricane Katrina, the New Orleans Saints beat the Atlanta Falcons 23 - 3.

What a game it was.

I've really been looking forward to this game and it was amazing. I've always been a Saint's fan, and last year it was so odd not having them here and not even sure if they would ever come back. Seeing them back in the Dome tonight, it was about more than football. It was about restoring part of Louisiana. It was about bringing back part of my heritage.

I actually started to tear up at the end of the game. I'm surprised about how emotional it made me, but I wasn't the only one. My whole family watched the game and I called some friends afterwards and they all felt the same way.

Our Saints have come home.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Miss Molly

Aaron gets really mad at me because I call them the Aints.

Listener

Quote from: Miss Molly on September 26, 2006, 05:32:21 AM

It looks like this year they ain't the ain'ts.  They're on top of what was expected to be the toughest division in the NFL.

cnamon

Quote from: Listener on September 26, 2006, 08:26:25 AM

It looks like this year they ain't the ain'ts.  They're on top of what was expected to be the toughest division in the NFL.
If my theory is right, they will win.

swolt

Quote from: Dottie Lou on September 26, 2006, 08:52:20 AM

the division?
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Alice

They may win the division, but they won't win the Bowl.

Listener

Quote from: Alice on September 26, 2006, 09:02:32 AM

True.  Their defense is good but not championship caliber.

I would not have a philosophical objection to the Saints GOING to the Superbowl, except I think -- and no offense intended -- that everyone would get burned out really quickly on "last year Katrina, and look how much they've rebuilt, and now they're here".

VikingJuice

Quote from: Listener on September 26, 2006, 09:42:17 AM
Quote from: Alice on September 26, 2006, 09:02:32 AM

True.  Their defense is good but not championship caliber.

I would not have a philosophical objection to the Saints GOING to the Superbowl, except I think -- and no offense intended -- that everyone would get burned out really quickly on "last year Katrina, and look how much they've rebuilt, and now they're here".

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.  They've beaten three teams that didn't make the playoffs last year.  They're solid, no doubt, but protect yourself against delusions of grandeur.  The run defense is atrocious and the pass D "aint" much better.  The Oline has questions and the receiving core is thin after trading perennial underachiever Stallworth.  The new coach and QB are very stable and should provide a good foundation of leadership for years to come. 

That said, I'm happy for the Saints fans because they really do need a nice and enjoyable distraction for their real lives as the rebuilding continues for the next decade.  For perspective, see the Walt Whitman quote before about baseball after WWII:

"I see great things in baseball.  It can repair our losses and heal our minds."  -according to Annie of the Durham Bulls

Sports will never be bigger than life in a realistic perspective, but it sure can make you smile during some of the rough spots that you have to trudge through.  Football has always been there for me and even though it's broken my heart, it's never truly let me down.  I think that's why I am such a fanatic about anything football.  It's gotten me over the rough spots in life on a number of occasions.  God bless the NFL!!

Alice

Quote from: The artist formerly known as VJ on September 26, 2006, 07:27:11 PM
Sports will never be bigger than life in a realistic perspective, but it sure can make you smile during some of the rough spots that you have to trudge through.
Or, if your girlfriend's team beats your team, it will make you avoid her calls for the rest of the day. ;)

VikingJuice

Quote from: Alice on September 26, 2006, 11:42:23 PM
Quote from: The artist formerly known as VJ on September 26, 2006, 07:27:11 PM
Sports will never be bigger than life in a realistic perspective, but it sure can make you smile during some of the rough spots that you have to trudge through.
Or, if your girlfriend's team beats your team, it will make you avoid her calls for the rest of the day. ;)

Well yeah, but that's a given if you're a devoted fan!!!  I used to avoid phone calls all week if I knew it was going to be razzing after a particularly rough loss.