News:

BE ALERT!! The world needs more lerts.

Main Menu

Lost Season 3 Discussion Thread

Started by Beefy, August 26, 2006, 04:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

"Who's death could have shaken Jack so profoundly? Some speculate the name on the obit is Jeremy Bentham.

Jeremy Bentham was an English jurist, philosopher, and legal and social reformer. He was a political radical and a leading theorist in Anglo-American philosophy of law. He is best known as an early advocate of utilitarianism and animal rights who influenced the development of liberalism.

He invented the Panopticon. The Panopticon is a type of prison building designed by English philosopher Jeremy Bentham in the late eighteenth century. The concept of the design is to allow an observer to observe all prisoners without the prisoners being able to tell if they are being observed or not, thus conveying a "sentiment of an invisible omniscience." In his own words, Bentham described the Panopticon as "a new mode of obtaining power of mind over mind, in a quantity hitherto without example."

He also lead the Jacobin Terrorist (Jacob reference?). The Jacobin Club was the largest and most powerful political club of the French Revolution. It originated as the Club Breton, formed at Versailles as a group of Breton deputies to the Estates General of 1789. At the height of its influence, there were between five and eight thousand chapters throughout France, with a membership estimated at 500,000. After the fall of Robespierre the club was closed."

http://lost.cubit.net

BigDun

Read The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks if you want a novel that describes and takes the concept of the Panopticon into the modern age.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Beefy

Quote from: BigDun on May 24, 2007, 11:17:05 AM
Read The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks if you want a novel that describes and takes the concept of the Panopticon into the modern age.

That book is actually in my "to read" pile at home.

Dry then Catch

BigDun

FYI-Airlines don't give out "Golden Pass" tickets to survivors of airline crashes. My mom tried to get one after her crash as part of the settlement but they wouldn't do it.

Jessie

Maybe she should have crashed on Oceanic.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

I was just reading an editorial on why Lost is brilliant and Heroes is terrible.  I will agree with the majority sentiment that the finale of Heroes was merely okay and somewhat disappointing and that Lost came out of nowhere and delivered a season ender that was just sensational.  But to riff on a point that Bish made, as great as Lost has been at its highs, you still have Nikki and Paolo, or the "can you train an army" bullshit, or a myriad of other reasonable criticisms.  I really hope that Heroes learns from the mistakes it made, learns how to tell a compelling climax, and learns to stop just dropping in convenient characters that just serve to further the plot for an episode or two before disappearing completely, but I also hope that Lost, now with a concrete number of episodes left, stops dicking around with pointless characters and non-drama and actually allows characters to speak like normal people would in a state of duress.

Valid point #1: Why, in Heroes, when the shape changing chick got knocked out cold did she not revert to her true, fat and ugly body instead of the model/actress visage she kept to make herself feel better?

Valid point #2: How much shorter would the Lost season finale have been if Locke or Ben would have just told people what the hell was going on with the island instead of being pointlessly mysterious and obtuse?  Normal people would have just said, look, THIS is why you shouldn't being doing this.  I realize that kills the mystery of the show and all, but the motivations aren't realistic when they act so detrimental to their own cause.

I think both shows have room for improvement, but are entertaining nonetheless.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: BigDun on May 25, 2007, 06:57:26 AM
FYI-Airlines don't give out "Golden Pass" tickets to survivors of airline crashes. My mom tried to get one after her crash as part of the settlement but they wouldn't do it.

whoa whoa she was in a plane crash?

BigDun

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on May 25, 2007, 07:35:24 PM

Just a small one:

Gamplayerx

Quote from: BigDun on May 25, 2007, 07:58:31 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on May 25, 2007, 07:35:24 PM

Just a small one:

psst ... CD ... that site doesn't like hotlinking.  I remember the pictures though.  Your mom and aunt were so very lucky.

BigDun

BigDun

Dry then Catch

BigDun

It was a dark and stormy night. A shot rang out. The maid screamed.

Well it was a dark and stormy night. My mom and aunt were on the last leg (Dallas to Little Rock) of an international trip (I think they were coming back from France) flying in an MD-82. There were severe thunderstorms at Little Rock but the tower told the American Airlines 1420 that they could make it through a hole in the storm if they came straight in. The pilots came through the storm and touched down on the runway. Unfortunately, they had, in their haste, forgotten to arm the wing spoilers. The spoilers are those little panels that pop up on the wing when the plane registers enough weight on the landing gear. It basically stops the wings from being lift devices and lets the entire weight of the plane onto the wheels. Without arming these devices, the plane was still being partially supported by the wings when they tried to slow down.

The plane skidded down the runway, off to the right, and then off to the left, before it went off the end of the runway. The end of the runway happened to be a 40ft drop off. The runway lighting systems were mounted on the equivalent of high tension power cable towers several hundred feet past the 40 ft drop off. The plane slammed through two sets of these (one of them piercing the fuselage and killing the pilot) before coming to rest in the shape depicted in the photo. Broken into many pieces and on fire.

My mom was in one part of the plane and was able to escape without much difficulty. My aunt was the part of the plane that was on fire. There was only a small hole in the roof that everyone was trying to get to and some very overweight person was blocking it. The people behind the overweight lady forced her through (causing some damage to her skin and body) and most of them were able to get out. My aunt, who is an artist and very visually minded, saw some pretty gruesome things. Ten of the passengers, one crew member and the pilot died of the 139 aboard.

Once they were on the ground it was a comedy of errors. They walked into a field that was being hit by a thunderstorm with the force of small tornado. The field was adjacent to the Arkansas river and everyone was afraid that walking away from the plane would plunge them into the river. The emergency vehicles didn't know which runway they were on, and when they did find out, they went to the wrong end before figuring out that the burning plane was at the other end.

My aunt had broken ribs from tumbling off the top of the plane. Both my aunt and mom had some pretty major post traumatic stress syndrome issues for years. Other than that, they both walked away with no permanent scars.

I, as a family member, got to tour the crash site before they hauled the plane away. It was... words fail. Horrible. Awesome in its implications of people walking away from it physically uninjured. Sublime.

I took some pictures with my cousin's 35mm including a multi-shot panorama that my aunt stitched together and blew up to wall size mural.

They both got large cash settlements from the airline but no golden tickets.

My mom and aunt don't watch Lost.

For more details and pics check out these links:

Chase plane simulation (you have to download the 4mb file and then play it from your hard drive): http://www.ntsb.gov/Events/2000/aa1420/anim_boardmtng.htm

Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_1420

The site that has the best photos but hates dirty hot linkers: http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/aa1420/photo.shtml

There is more stuff out there including first hand second-by-second recounts of the event if you search for American 1420.

I consider myself inoculated from plane crashes. I mean, what are the odds of two people, directly related, both being in a plane crash?

Bishamonten

I'm staking my claim:  The guy in the newspaper clipping was Micheal.

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on May 27, 2007, 10:10:45 PM

Coffin was too short.  And the name started with a "J".

meredith

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beefy on May 27, 2007, 10:46:57 PM

I didn't see the shortness of the coffin.  And the name, could be a throw off.  The clipping says he was survived by a teenage son.  As well, the showing was in a predominately black neighborhood. 

Granted, now that I think of it, Harrold Pernneu declined coming back so it probably wouldn't be a pay off not showing him. Hm.

Beefy

Quote from: Bishamonten on May 28, 2007, 09:21:38 AM
Quote from: Beefy on May 27, 2007, 10:46:57 PM

I didn't see the shortness of the coffin.  And the name, could be a throw off.  The clipping says he was survived by a teenage son.  As well, the showing was in a predominately black neighborhood. 

Granted, now that I think of it, Harrold Pernneu declined coming back so it probably wouldn't be a pay off not showing him. Hm.

Didn't know he declined.  But then, didn't Boone initially decline and trash talk the show, just to come back and film more cameos anyways?

Beefy

Ha!  This was the ad at the top of the page when I got done posting that last reply:

[attachment deleted by admin]

eo000

Quote from: Beefy on June 11, 2007, 07:45:42 AM
Ha!  This was the ad at the top of the page when I got done posting that last reply:

that clip ain't gonna help with anyone's fears.

Dry then Catch

I hated the para-Lost experience.  It felt very cheap and empty, much like hanging out at an airport gift shop at the end of your vacation thinking about the upcoming week.  NOW THATS EMO