News:

04/12/07 - Congrats to dots for snatching the real 200,000th post! Riding on her coattails, I guess we can spare some kudos to Jessie for the less real 200,000th post.

Main Menu

chunky soup curse strikes again

Started by Listener, June 12, 2006, 12:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eo000

Bennyhana

Goddamnit.  2 years, right?  That's all he's had so far?  Well, let's hope he'll be alright and he'll have several more good ones left in him. 

cnamon

Not Big Ben!

I think even though he doesn't like helmets, he should wear one because:

A:  He makes a bazillion dollars just to throw a ball,
2:  Kids look up to him and he should set an example,
III:  Have you been on the roads in western PA?  They suck.

dazie

If he survives and recuperates, he could move out here to play for the Chiefs.  There's no helmet law in KS, and the Chiefs could surely use him.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Gamplayerx

Gamplayerx

Listener, what's the graphic at the top of your page?  It looks like a blue microscope close up of pine needles.

dazie

Listener

Quote from: Gamplayerx on June 12, 2006, 12:47:06 PM
Listener, what's the graphic at the top of your page?  It looks like a blue microscope close up of pine needles.

Blue-shifted graphic of neurons in the brain.  It came with the site template.

Beefy

If the Steelers were smart, they'd add a motorcycle helmet clause to his contract.

Bennyhana

what I want to know is this:  How is it okay to go without a helmet on a motorcycle, but you need one running around on a football field?

VikingJuice

Quote from: Bennyhana on June 12, 2006, 03:35:12 PM
what I want to know is this:  How is it okay to go without a helmet on a motorcycle, but you need one running around on a football field?

Update as of 4:04 EST:

Broken nose and jaw.  In serious but stable condition after surgery.  Spoke with his agent immediately prior to surgery and seemed very coherent and fully aware of what was going on.

Oh, and in Pennsylvania the helmet law was repealed in Sept 2003.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ar._cMV4.api0rG_R_gkDjA5nYcB?slug=ap-roethlisberger-motorcycleaccident&prov=ap&type=lgns

I hope he's okay but I'd really like to slap the shit out of him for taking such a risk with so much at stake for the team, the city, the kids, himself and of course, the earning potential.

cnamon

Not the face!

He was kinda hot, too.

Hope he recovers well.

Bennyhana

QuoteAccording to a police source, Roethlisberger suffered a broken jaw, broke his left sinus cavity, suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost many teeth and has severe injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement.

Uh oh.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Bennyhana on June 12, 2006, 04:15:33 PM
QuoteAccording to a police source, Roethlisberger suffered a broken jaw, broke his left sinus cavity, suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost many teeth and has severe injuries to his knees from hitting the pavement.

Uh oh.

ESPN updated that on the 6EST SportsCenter and said that the knee injuries really weren't that severe at all and that assuming his jaw heals at the normal rate, he'll only be down and out of commission for about 7 weeks.  If that's the case, I'd say it's a pretty good recovery considering all the factors.

Beefy

One article I read stated that he lost every one of his teeth.

And, as always, everything on the Internet is true.

cnamon

I also heard from a friend of his cousin that he passed out at 31 Flavors.

VikingJuice

Quote from: cnamon on June 13, 2006, 10:53:53 AM
I also heard from a friend of his cousin that he passed out at 31 Flavors.

Thank you Simone.

VikingJuice

Update from ESPN SportsCenter 5CST:
Big Ben is awake and alert.  He lost two teeth but chipped several others.  He's got multiple bruises on his body.  His knees were only scraped up on the outside, nothing structural damaged.

Interesting tidbit, he did NOT have a valid motorcycle license.  He had a motorcycle learner's permit but that expired back in March or April. 

Beefy

Quote from: Vikingjuice on June 13, 2006, 05:07:50 PM
Interesting tidbit, he did NOT have a valid motorcycle license.  He had a motorcycle learner's permit but that expired back in March or April. 

Okay, well if riding without a helmet didn't already warrant it, he certainly qualifies now to be called a dumbass.

Listener

There was just a motorcycle accident dispatched over the police scanners... happened almost exactly as Big Ben's wreck did... and despite myself, despite the fact that it really isn't funny, all I could do was turn to my part-timer and say "he Roethlisbergered".

dazie

Hey- the Governator didn't have a license either and got off scott free.  Maybe Big Ben will too!

Bennyhana

Quote from: dazie on June 13, 2006, 06:51:35 PM
Hey- the Governator didn't have a license either and got off scott free.  Maybe Big Ben will too!

If by "Scott free" you mean "Reconstructive surgery on his jaw," then, well, yes!

VikingJuice

Quote from: Listener on June 13, 2006, 05:40:31 PM
There was just a motorcycle accident dispatched over the police scanners... happened almost exactly as Big Ben's wreck did... and despite myself, despite the fact that it really isn't funny, all I could do was turn to my part-timer and say "he Roethlisbergered".

I guess that's better than "getting Munsoned."

dc

Quote from: Vikingjuice on June 13, 2006, 10:34:24 PM
Quote from: Listener on June 13, 2006, 05:40:31 PM

I guess that's better than "getting Munsoned."

Somehow, I don't think a helmet would have helped him, though....