News:

3/12/05 5000th post provided by Bishamonten

Main Menu

Wireless (G) help

Started by Infobahn, May 28, 2006, 12:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Infobahn

I have a POC Dlink wireless router that I can't seem to get a signal to my laptop.  I can see every one else's in the neighborhood, but not mine.  I have to be within 50 feet, on the same floor (2 story house) to get it to work.  I'd like to use my laptop (router and laptop are G), and my neighbor has locked his down now.

I tried the standard and upgraded antennae, to no avail.

Thoughts? Help?

Mr. Ubiquity

have you tried sitting next to the rtr and then moving around the house to see were you get good signals and have bad signals?

do you have any 2.4 ghz phones near the router or near where u have the laptop?

do you have any large appliances  line of site between router loc and laptop loc?
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Infobahn

Yes, I am sitting next to it now, and the link dropped to "good" as I was writing the original post.  It is "excellent" now.  I have walked around the house, and as soon as I go half way upstairs, I lose the signal.  All of our phones are Uniden 5.8.  No appliances in LOS.

It is the D-link 624.

WileE

From looking at the NewEgg ratings, that model has some issues with dropping signals. 

Personally, I like Linksys.
Snakes on a mutha-f%$#in' plane!!!

"The Temple of Syrnix is havin' the bake sale of the year."

Listener

Quote from: Infobahn on May 28, 2006, 12:53:52 AM
Yes, I am sitting next to it now, and the link dropped to "good" as I was writing the original post.  It is "excellent" now.  I have walked around the house, and as soon as I go half way upstairs, I lose the signal.  All of our phones are Uniden 5.8.  No appliances in LOS.

It is the D-link 624.

Try a firmware upgrade.

swolt

I had the same problem with that same model router for a customer. I upgraded the firmware (like Listener said) and it worked better for about a month, then it started acting up again. I replaced it with a Linksys and all the problems went away.

I'm not a fan of Netgear.
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

Infobahn

I saw the newegg ratings lastnight when I was bitching. I bought on price/rebate.

My old B was a Linksys.  I liked it a lot.  I will try the firmware upgrade.

What Linksys would you recommend?