News:

BE ALERT!! The world needs more lerts.

Main Menu

This annoys me

Started by Beefy, May 10, 2006, 07:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/09/dog.snake.ap/index.html

Look, whenever I eventually lose Dudley, it's going to shatter me.  I am sure that it might be the same for this guy.  That said, when you take in a pet you accept the responsibility for it's well being.  Leashes and leash laws exist for two good reasons: to protect others from your pet, and to protect your pet from others.  I really hate people that think that leashes are for other people's pets.  I see this syndrome constantly around my neighborhood.  It applies to you too, asshole. 

I'm sorry your dog is gone, but you should never have it let it off the leash in the first place.  While it is unfortunate that the snake got out, it wouldn't have gotten to your dog if you had been a better dog owner.

Jessie

I agree.

Also, I love my pets, but setting a place for them at the table is a little odd.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

dazie

We were invited to Ursus' uncle's wedding a few years back.  The invites said something like "Sam and Torino invite you to the wedding of..."  I thought they were odd names for the bride's kids or parents, but I didn't think much of it, as she's kind of weird as is Ursus' uncle.  Turns out that the DOGS invited us all to the wedding- the dogs are Sam and Torino.

I love my pets, but there is a line when love becomes weirdness and I don't plan on crossing it.

That said- it sucks that the snake killed the dog, but the dog should have been leashed and the snake should have been penned up as well.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

meredith

rat terrier :'( buddy...

many dogs are intelligent and obedient enough to handle being off the leash, and having them off it doesn't mean you're irresponsible as a dog owner.  it may be an inconsequential detail here -- the snake could just as easily have attacked the dog at the end of a 6-foot leash or a 16-foot flexi.  cars are a danger you expect -- dogs can learn not to go on pavement alone -- "burmese python in the yard" is not.  it's not like the article says "the dog ran 50 feet ahead and wasn't under the protection of his owner"  ...who had to run to get a golf club to make a difference anyway.  like I said, it could be inconsequential.  in training, many dogs are taught to stay heeled when off their leash.  this dog could have been right next to the owner or within leash range, and what difference would a thin tether make?  in conclusion, the only protection from snakes in the motherfuckin' hood is samuel l. jackson.

meredith

Quote from: Jessie on May 10, 2006, 07:45:25 AM
I agree.

Also, I love my pets, but setting a place for them at the table is a little odd.

That's because your pets can't control when they poop.  ;D

Gamplayerx

Look.  Keep your dogs AND your snakes on leashes and the world will be a better place.

dazie

Quote from: hattmoward on May 10, 2006, 09:09:32 AM
cars are a danger you expect -- dogs can learn not to go on pavement alone -- "burmese python in the yard" is not

That made me laugh.  That's something the Ballard Street guy would draw in a cartoon.  "Edgar trains Muffy to be on the lookout for every possible situation"
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

Quote from: hattmoward on May 10, 2006, 09:09:32 AM
many dogs are intelligent and obedient enough to handle being off the leash, and having them off it doesn't mean you're irresponsible as a dog owner.

If they are in a public, uncontrolled environment, then I disagree.  You can't presume to know every little thing that might occur in the area, nor how your animal, or someone else's, will react.  Big freaking snakes are a good example.  There is no reason for the dog to be off the leash unless it is in a yard or some other controlled environment.  If this dog had been in a yard and had gotten attacked, I say his argument had merit.  I think he gave up any right to complain when he set his dog loose.  The real victim here are the pets.  The tards are the pet owners who act irresponsibly.

DownSouth

I can't let Midnight off the leash or she won't come in for hours.  She'll just lay in the grass and if you try to get her she takes off.  I guess the couches and beds aren't as comfy as the grass.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Mr. Ubiquity

I agree.

unless they happen to be the main course.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

SockmonkeyHolocaust

Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on May 10, 2006, 10:17:59 AM
I agree.

and then there ain't a GOTT dammm thing you can do about it.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Sockmonkeyholocaust on May 10, 2006, 10:18:54 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ubiquity on May 10, 2006, 10:17:59 AM
I agree.

and then there ain't a GOTT dammm thing you can do about it.

uh huh,  get the special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onion, and a seseme seed bun.
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

swolt

A clever man commits no minor blunders.

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

Beefy

Dry then Catch

some dogs are really good without leashes.  my aren't, but are leash laws in place to protect people or pets? 

Listener

Quote from: ZackAttack on May 10, 2006, 09:50:37 AM
I can't let Midnight off the leash or she won't come in for hours.  She'll just lay in the grass and if you try to get her she takes off.  I guess the couches and beds aren't as comfy as the grass.

Have you considered an invisible fence?  They work wonders with my parents' and sister's dogs.

DownSouth

Quote from: Listener on May 10, 2006, 12:11:27 PM

Have you considered an invisible fence?  They work wonders with my parents' and sister's dogs.
Apartment.  Funny story though.  My parents have an invisible fence for one of the dogs and they didn't put it far enough out.  The living room goes passed it and everytime the dog walked in it would jump up.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Listener

Quote from: ZackAttack on May 10, 2006, 12:18:18 PM

Apartment.  Funny story though.  My parents have an invisible fence for one of the dogs and they didn't put it far enough out.  The living room goes passed it and everytime the dog walked in it would jump up.

That's kind of amusing, actually.

Something went wrong with one of the collars at my parents' house, and now Oreo's collar beeps every time she goes in or out of the house.  I'm surprised she hasn't gotten shocked by ignoring the beep when she gets to the end of the yard.

meredith

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on May 10, 2006, 12:11:16 PM
some dogs are really good without leashes.  my aren't, but are leash laws in place to protect people or pets? 

leash laws are in place to manage liability, the biggest killer of bank accounts in the US today.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: hattmoward on May 10, 2006, 01:33:44 PM

leash laws are in place to manage liability, the biggest killer of bank accounts in the US today.

I suppose its our right to be legally vulnerable then for freedom.  Dog freedom. 

Gamplayerx

I don't care why the laws are there - please keep your pets contained and controlled and safe. 

And out of my yard.

meredith

Quote from: Gamplayerx on May 10, 2006, 08:44:56 PM

I don't care why the laws are there - please keep your pets contained and controlled and safe. 

And out of my yard.

that was.. uh.. actually me that pooped in your yard.

sorry  :'(

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Listener on May 10, 2006, 12:20:30 PM
Quote from: ZackAttack on May 10, 2006, 12:18:18 PM

That's kind of amusing, actually.

Something went wrong with one of the collars at my parents' house, and now Oreo's collar beeps every time she goes in or out of the house.  I'm surprised she hasn't gotten shocked by ignoring the beep when she gets to the end of the yard.

got any pics from the movie the running man??