News:

03/23/05 10,000th post provided by Cnamon!

Main Menu

I'm SAILING!

Started by dazie, November 12, 2005, 09:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

HELIX

Quote from: dazie on November 23, 2005, 10:52:52 AM
What'd I do??

ok i'll be the stupid one....what would you do dazie??
Some people look at jerky and say, "Why?"  I look at jerky and say, "Mmm! Jerky!"

dazie

Quote from: HELIX on November 23, 2005, 07:20:33 PM
What'd I do??

Don't ask unless you're sure you want to find out.   ;)

HELIX

Quote from: dazie on November 23, 2005, 07:50:46 PM
What'd I do??

ok i'll be the stupid one....what would you do dazie??  :)
Some people look at jerky and say, "Why?"  I look at jerky and say, "Mmm! Jerky!"

dazie

Quote from: HELIX on November 23, 2005, 09:06:04 PM
What'd I do??

I'd sleep in until noon tomorrow if I could!

HELIX

that would be nice...sleep til noon, eat turkey around 2 and then go back to bed around 3...nice!

dazie

Quote from: HELIX on November 23, 2005, 10:13:32 PM
that would be nice...sleep til noon, eat turkey around 2 and then go back to bed around 3...nice!

exactly!

ignom

I'm going to sleep til at least noon and then go to Ryan's at 3.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

dazie

Woop!  First photo of someone I know!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: dazie on November 23, 2005, 10:05:48 PM
Quote from: HELIX on November 23, 2005, 09:06:04 PM
What'd I do??

I'd sleep in until noon tomorrow if I could!

with whom?
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

dazie

I know most of you don't care about this, and I appreciate the fact that nobody has pummeled me yet.  But I find all this stuff absolutely fascinating, and well, you get to read about it.   ;D

To give some idea of what it feels like to be going this fast in a sailing monohull, read this report from ABN AMRO TWO's navigator Simon Fisher, "We are absolutely charging along now, on record pace - the last sched came through and we'd averaged 23 knots for the last six hours!

"Without a doubt this is definitely life at the extreme, the whole boat is shuddering and shaking as we crash through one wave to the next, all the winches and blocks are screaming and cracking like cannon fire under the load. Water is pouring down the deck and into the hatch so we have to bail out every half an hour or so to avoid turning the leeward side of the boat into a swimming pool.

"It is often emphasized how hard life is on these boats, and it is all true - the food is bad and bland, sleep is near impossible at times; you are nearly always damp if not wet when the conditions are rough. The simple things in life become a major exercise, like getting dressed or going to the toilet. Even my bunk is absolutely sodden now having been swamped last night when the cockpit filled with water and a hatch was left open. Seb was pinned under 50 litres of water and his iPod is no more! The windows on the nav station are now leaking too, it's a constant battle to keep the water away from all the electronics.

"On deck things aren't much easier, it is like standing in front of a fire hose and you have to hang on to stay in the cockpit; only an hour ago Bicey was swept of the stack and down the cockpit whilst trimming.

"However, despite all this hardship and hassle, there is nowhere else in the world I would rather be right now. This is me at my happiest, tearing though the South Atlantic with the speed in excess of thirty knots. Despite all you have to endure, sailing these boats is just plain fun. It's a difficult feeling to describe, a mixture of adrenaline and excitement, fear and apprehension. You don't know if something is about to break or how long these conditions will last, all that matters is that we are pushing the boat to its limit, but it's in control and for now we're the fastest on the track.

"Cheers for now, Si Fi."

HELIX

dazie

dazie

Crap.  They broke the boat.

From their team headquarters, Ericsson issued this statement: "Last night, Ericsson was reaching at 20 knots, in 22 knots of wind, when a failure occurred in the keel movement system. The boat had to be stopped to allow the crew to inspect the damage. Ericsson is now sailing towards Cape Town under reduced sail to avoid overloading the system. The crew is in no danger."

That's "my" team.   :-\

eo000

Does that mean they are out of the race?

dazie

Quote from: eo000 on November 30, 2005, 07:20:18 AM
Does that mean they are out of the race?

No, it just means they're dropping miles from the leader and will most likely get to Cape Town in 4th place.  They'll fix the boat there, then be ready for the 2nd leg in about a month.  They're safe, but with the keel movement busted, they can't tack and weave as much as they'd like, and they can't go as fast for fear the whole thing would disintegrate.

Two other boats pulled out of the leg entirely, one has been flown to Cape Town and another will be put on a cargo ship and should get there in a week or so.

dazie

http://www.volvooceanrace.org/news/article/2005/december/almostthere/index.aspx?bhcp=1

In short- the boat that's been leading for most of the leg won the leg- arriving in Cape Town in just over 19 days.  Can you even DRIVE from Spain to South Africa in 19 days??

"My" boat is even more broken than it was before, but everyone is still safe, and they'll make it to Cape Town probably on Saturday.  They're at about 70% of full strength right now.  It's really quite interesting to read what happened, if you're in to that sort of thing.

dazie

Hah!  There's the shore crew prep that I recognize...  "Beer awaits the crew of ABN AMRO ONE as they berth in Cape Town"
(remember- there are only 12 guys on the boat...)

eo000

why the hell are they all opened already?

DownSouth

That's only 4 warm flat beers each.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

cnamon

I was wondering the same eo.

dazie

Quote from: eo000 on December 02, 2005, 10:29:59 AM

Because they don't want to waste any time.  That's the boat coming in right there. 

DownSouth

Quote from: dazie on December 02, 2005, 11:12:45 AM
Quote from: eo000 on December 02, 2005, 10:29:59 AM

Because they don't want to waste any time.  That's the boat coming in right there. 
So they're just going to chug 4 beers each and sail away?
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Gamplayerx

DownSouth

Quote from: Gamplayerx on December 02, 2005, 11:22:06 AM
It's Saturday?!?
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA