News:

04/07/05 1000th thread provided by Cnamon! This isn't really JuntoOnline. It's CnamonOnline!

Main Menu

Meet Scooter

Started by ReBurn, August 02, 2005, 12:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReBurn

This poor little guy isn't doing so well.  He went to the vet last Thursday and they found hookworms in his stool, so they gave him a pil to kill them.  Well, after that he stopped eating and he wouldn't eat all weekend.  We took him to the vet yesterday and he still had a high concentration of parasites, so they gave him a shot, IV liquids, and kept him overnight to monitor him.  They called this morning and said that he has blood in his stool, but he is playful and has a good attitude.  The vet doesn't think that it's parvo since he's not lethargic, but they don't know exactly what's wrong with him.  He still won't eat more than a couple of bites at a time.  My wife said they were going to xray him to see if there is something that they can see.  Hopefully we'll know more this afternoon.  Poor guy.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Jessie

Aww poor baby.  I hope everything's ok, Reburn.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Dry then Catch

eww i hope he didn't get'm from you Reburn.

the plus side worm treatment is fairly successful and common for dogs, though he may feel liek crap now

ReBurn

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on August 09, 2005, 11:42:16 AM

the plus side worm treatment is fairly successful and common for dogs, though he may feel liek crap now
I haven't been dragging my ass across the carpet, so I don't think he got them from me.

Listener

Quote from: ReBurninator on August 09, 2005, 11:42:59 AM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on August 09, 2005, 11:42:16 AM

I haven't been dragging my ass across the carpet, so I don't think he got them from me.

I hate to sound like a dick when such a cute puppy is feeling down, but...

"I know what this is... you wanna have an ASS RACE!  First one to the kitchen wins!"

DownSouth

I hope he pulls through alright.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

BigDun

16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

ReBurn

Someone from the SPCA called today and asked my wife if she was satisfied with her new pet.  She let the poor guy have it over the phone and told him that she would be satisfied if the dog hadn't been at the vet's office nearly every day since she got him.  The SPCA called the vet and told him that the pup's littermates had been diagnosed with coccidiosis, which in extreme cases causes the symptoms that Scooter is having.  The vet said he was going to start treating the coccidiosis and keep the pup overnight again.  If he keeps the pill down he can come home tomorrow, and we'll treat him for a week or so.

BigDun

Yay! For the fact that the condition has been most likely diagnosed and the treatments will allow you to have your new puppy back in the house.

Boo! For the SPCA not telling you sooner.

Mind you, I am a big fan of adopting pets from shelters, but I have found from experience that they may not be completely forthright in some of the details of the pet's history.

ReBurn

This is the last pet I'll adopt from the SPCA.  The vet told me that he was treating another dog that the SPCA said was heartworm-free.  The new owner found out that the dog had a major case and has had to have extensive treatments for the dog.  I guess that they meant "heartworms are free."  It is going to be hard to support the SPCA after this.

BigDun

We have switched our support from the SPCA to local dog rescue organizations. My wife created and maintains this site of a local pet rescue organization.

eo000

Gamplayerx

Jessie

I hope he gets feeling better soon.

I wonder if there's a manager or something at the shelter that you can talk to.  If they knew the puppy had that disease, maybe they'll help with the vet bills or something. 

Beefy

I support my local shelter, where I got The Dudley from.  I send money.  I can't bring myself to go there in person, though.  Too heartbreaking.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Jessie

My sister in law is adopted.  I wonder if she came from the SPCA.

Beefy

Quote from: Jessie on August 10, 2005, 08:43:00 AM
My sister in law is adopted.  I wonder if she came from the SPCA.

I hope she got her shots.

dazie

The only dog we've ever had troubles with at the kennel we worked at was from the SPCA.  A beautiful young Boxer, the woman brought him in for daycare a few days after she got him.  The attendant was trying to put him in his pen and he turned on her- tearing her up one arm and down the other.  We cleaned up blood for weeks.  It turns out that the dog had been adopted out several times and brought back because he was aggressive.  They let this woman adopt him without telling her about it, and she had a toddler at home.

I support rescues, hell- all of my dogs are rescues, but I have a problem with the SPCA too.

As I've said before- I go here:  http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org/
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Gamplayerx

We adopted Ping and Pong from the SPCA.  You may recall that we had to let Sparky go after a long battle with an upper respiratory disorder.  It wasn't until we'd signed the contract for Pong that they informed me he had had an upper respiratory infection.  I freak every time he sneezes.  I can't go through that again.

ReBurn

I talked to the vet this morning and finally the little guy is finally starting to eat.  They said that after the injection yesterday he started to expel all of his parasites.  So he had the coccidiosis, the hookworms, and now he is passing what they believe to be tapeworms as well.  But his temperature has returned to normal and he's starting to play, so that's good.  Hopefully we'll get to bring him home later today if they are satisfied that his dehydration is better.  My wife is going to call the SPCA again and start in on them again for not calling us and letting us know the problems that the littermates had.

Listener

We got two of our original five kittens from the Humane Society.  They had ear mites, but the Humane Society's cat lady (yes, she really was) told us this in advance AND snuck us a bottle of medicine from the fridge.  All we had to buy was a box of q-tips and a bottle of mineral oil.

My cats -- the four of my original five (one died of FIP) -- are now 5.  They are all rescue pets (2 from the Humane Society, 3 foundlings that our friend nursed from birth and foisted off on us).  When they pass, I'll get dogs, and they'll definitely be rescue pets.

Jessie

Quote from: Listener on August 10, 2005, 11:36:37 AM
We got two of our original five kittens from the Humane Society.  They had ear mites, but the Humane Society's cat lady (yes, she really was) told us this in advance AND snuck us a bottle of medicine from the fridge.  All we had to buy was a box of q-tips and a bottle of mineral oil.

My cats -- the four of my original five (one died of FIP) -- are now 5.  They are all rescue pets (2 from the Humane Society, 3 foundlings that our friend nursed from birth and foisted off on us).  When they pass, I'll get dogs, and they'll definitely be rescue pets.

I didn't know cats could drink human breast milk.  That's interesting.

ursus

We got two of our original five kittens from the Humane Society. They had ear mites, but the Humane Society's cat lady (yes, she really was) told us this in advance AND snuck us a bottle of medicine from the fridge. All we had to buy was a box of q-tips and a bottle of mineral oil.

My cats -- the four of my original five (one died of FIP) -- are now 5. They are all rescue pets (2 from the Humane Society, 3 foundlings that our friend nursed from birth and foisted off on us). When they pass, I'll get dogs, and they'll definitely be rescue pets.
Very cool.

Quote from: Jessie on August 10, 2005, 12:38:36 PM

I didn't know cats could drink human breast milk. That's interesting.
OMG, too creepy...
I was just wondering...

Listener

Quote from: ursus on August 10, 2005, 04:23:44 PM
We got two of our original five kittens from the Humane Society. They had ear mites, but the Humane Society's cat lady (yes, she really was) told us this in advance AND snuck us a bottle of medicine from the fridge. All we had to buy was a box of q-tips and a bottle of mineral oil.

My cats -- the four of my original five (one died of FIP) -- are now 5. They are all rescue pets (2 from the Humane Society, 3 foundlings that our friend nursed from birth and foisted off on us). When they pass, I'll get dogs, and they'll definitely be rescue pets.
Very cool.

Quote from: Jessie on August 10, 2005, 12:38:36 PM

I didn't know cats could drink human breast milk. That's interesting.
OMG, too creepy...

I think Jessie knew EXACTLY what I meant.