News:

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill.

Main Menu

NSFYouphoric

Started by dazie, July 27, 2005, 11:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

My new house has a LOT of spiders.  I can see 6 or 8 from where I sit.  They're Daddy Longlegs, not too bad, so I'm not rushing to get rid of them.

My new house also has craptacular windows, and there are quite a few spiders in the window sills.

I have the computer set up so I can look out a set of windows.  I've been treated to my own "Wild Nature" shows lately, with the spiders and their prey.  A few nights ago it was a lightning bug in the right hand window.  Whenever it glowed, it seemed to irk the spider, who stepped up the wrapping and sucking of bodily fluids.  Tonight it's a June bug in the left hand window.  It's still alive, so I'm debating opening the window and helping it get unstuck, but I really don't like June bugs, so I probably won't.  If the spider manages to kill it, that lucky arachnid will eat for a month!
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

meredith

Want me to come take care of them?  It seems I won't be losing my job of SPIDER DESTROYARRR any time soon, so I guess it's my duty or something.

dazie

Quote from: hattmoward on July 27, 2005, 11:27:12 PM
Want me to come take care of them?  It seems I won't be losing my job of SPIDER DESTROYARRR any time soon, so I guess it's my duty or something.

That didn't make any sense to me, but I'd love to have you come visit, spiders or not.

meredith

this is my SPIDER CRUSHING face

I'm completely indifferent to spiders, and I would rather just put them outside, but I seem to always be hanging around people who are afraid of them and want them dead.

Beefy

Daddy LongLegs aren't technically spiders.

Gamplayerx

What are they?

I hate when I leave the house, footloose and fancy free, without a care in the world, and walk right into a web.  Eeeeek.

Jessie

I've watched several generations of spiders occupy the corner of the wall and cabinet in the bathroom here over the last few months.  Every so often I'll notice the current occupant is dead, and then a few days later there'll be a baby.

I actually think it's kind of cool.  I also think that our cleaning company doesn't do a very thorough job in the bathroom.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Beefy

Quote from: DownSouth on July 28, 2005, 09:15:54 AM
I hate spiders. 

They're not technically spiders.  Pay attention.

Jessie

The daddy long-legs' most impressive feature is its four pairs of long slender legs, which may be up to 30 times as long as its body. Each leg has seven segments and curves out at the tip. If the daddy long-legs is in danger of being caught, it can break off a portion of its legs and then escape while the detached legs continue to quiver in front of a confounded predator. Daddy long-legs can grow new legs to replace the broken ones.

Who knew?

ReBurn

Quote from: Jessie on July 28, 2005, 09:20:18 AM
The daddy long-legs' most impressive feature is its four pairs of long slender legs, which may be up to 30 times as long as its body. Each leg has seven segments and curves out at the tip. If the daddy long-legs is in danger of being caught, it can break off a portion of its legs and then escape while the detached legs continue to quiver in front of a confounded predator. Daddy long-legs can grow new legs to replace the broken ones.

Who knew?
Google, maybe?  Google knows all.  Well, Google knows almost all.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

Fark has got some great photographers.

Jessie

Holy cow, those are awesome.

My favorites:

They remind me of a story ignom and I heard on NPR about a lady who does food chain photography.  I need to look for that.

dazie

Has anyone besides me and DC seen the Mythbusters episode where they prove that the Daddy Longlegs aren't so poisonous?  That was terrible.

I don't mind having them around, as long as they stay up in the corners.  If one gets in my bathtub, it's goin' for a swim.

Gamplayerx

I've not seen it.  I had never heard that daddy longlegs were poisonous in the first place.  I like the Mythbusters' silver pens.

Jessie

I like Myth Busters.  I liked the one about Pop Rocks and Coke.

Daddy long legs are rumored to be the most poisonous spider, but their mouths are so small that they can't bite you.

If there's a bug in my tub, I usually let it outside, unless it's gross.

Beefy

I think people confuse Daddy LongLegs with Daddy LongLegs spiders.  Two separate things.

DownSouth

Quote from: Jessie on July 28, 2005, 10:32:16 AM

Daddy long legs are rumored to be the most poisonous spider, but their mouths are so small that they can't bite you.

Was that the one with the pig stomach?
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Jessie

Quote from: DownSouth on July 28, 2005, 11:09:42 AM
Quote from: Jessie on July 28, 2005, 10:32:16 AM

Was that the one with the pig stomach?

Yep.
Quote from: Beefy on July 28, 2005, 10:36:48 AM
I think people confuse Daddy LongLegs with Daddy LongLegs spiders. Two separate things.

Is there such a thing?  What's the difference?

Beefy

Dry then Catch

is youph even around to appreciate this title

Jessie

dazie

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on July 28, 2005, 12:12:12 PM
is youph even around to appreciate this title

No.  But I can hope.