News:

Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill.

Main Menu

My central A/C is leaking

Started by ignom, July 21, 2005, 07:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ignom

When it's running, I can hear water dripping, and the walls below it have water marks and are wet.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Beefy

I have a drip in a wall as well, but no water marks.  It's merely annoying.

sapphirehart

Quote from: ignom on July 21, 2005, 07:42:42 PM
When it's running, I can hear water dripping, and the walls below it have water marks and are wet.

Sounds like perhaps the drain is plugged?

/not an a/c technician but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

dazie

Do you have a home warranty on the new place?
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

ignom

Quote from: dazie on July 21, 2005, 07:46:20 PM

Shrug

dazie

Quote from: ignom on July 21, 2005, 07:47:07 PM

Shrug

You should check your paperwork.  If you do, you may not have to pay to get it fixed.

VikingJuice

Quote from: dazie on July 21, 2005, 07:52:42 PM
Quote from: ignom on July 21, 2005, 07:47:07 PM

Shrug

You should check your paperwork.  If you do, you may not have to pay to get it fixed.

If it's a new place, there should be a repair policy of anything faulty of it's own accord within the first calendar year.  If this doesn't apply, I don't have good advice other than get it fixed ASAP because it holds two potentially big problems: 1) Your AC may be crapping out (which is expensive to repair because it often involves the compressor) and 2) You could develop a nasty mold condition in your house which is bad in so many possible ways, the least of which is allergy problems.

ReBurn

I would vote for clogged drain or leaking pan.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Jessie

Quote from: ReBurninator on July 22, 2005, 07:51:57 AM

I'd need to hear where they stand on the issues before I'd vote for either of them.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

ReBurn

Quote from: Jessie on July 22, 2005, 07:56:07 AM
Quote from: ReBurninator on July 22, 2005, 07:51:57 AM

I'd need to hear where they stand on the issues before I'd vote for either of them.
Politics would be so much simpler without life.

ignom

It's getting worse, and now there's a pool of water forming on the bathroom floor next to the A/C unit.

Beefy

Quote from: ignom on July 22, 2005, 09:22:17 PM
It's getting worse, and now there's a pool of water forming on the bathroom floor next to the A/C unit.

Kay, that's bad.  Time for towels and duct tape.

dazie

My AC just crapped out this afternoon.  It's 100 freaking degrees out and I have no AC.  AGAIN.

I may die.

Beefy

Quote from: dazie on July 22, 2005, 09:25:11 PM
My AC just crapped out this afternoon.  It's 100 freaking degrees out and I have no AC.  AGAIN.

I may die.

That sucks.  That it doesn't blow, I mean.

dazie

Quote from: Beefy on July 22, 2005, 09:28:31 PM
Quote from: dazie on July 22, 2005, 09:25:11 PM

I may die.

That sucks.  That it doesn't blow, I mean.

My vacuum sucks.  Keep up.

The AC didn't work when we moved in, so they fixed it.  It's kaput again.  We've lived here 13 days.

dc

Can you see where the water's coming from?

ignom

Quote from: dc on July 22, 2005, 09:38:39 PM

The air conditioner.

No, I can't.

dc

They put out a lot of water through condensation.  If the drain is clogged, that'll do it.  Is it working fine otherwise?

ignom

Well, it's keeping the place cool.

ReBurn

Quote from: ignom on July 22, 2005, 09:41:45 PM
Quote from: dc on July 22, 2005, 09:38:39 PM

The air conditioner.

No, I can't.
There has to be access to the inside portion of your unit somewhere in the condo.  It seriously sounds like a clogged drain pipe is causing the drip pan to overflow.  The coils in the interior unit are drawing the humidity out of the air and condensing it as it removes heat from the air.  That condensation drips off into a pan.  There is usually an interior pan inside the unit and an exterior pan for overflow.  Once with mine the interior drain clogged so it started to overflow, but it was off-balance and the water drained out of the back into the ductwork and down my bathroom wall.  I had to have a guy come out and balance it for me, as well as vacuum out the drain lines.

It's probably going to cost you some money,  but you should get someone out to check that ASAP.  The water damage might not be covered by your homeowners' insurance if you neglect it.  Also, I find it hard to believe that you would have this problem so soon after moving in and the previous owners not know about it.  It could be a coincidence, but I would notify the realtor just in case.  You may have some legal protection in this matter.

dazie

OMG this is awful.  It's quite possibly 100 degrees out and we have absolutely NO air conditioning whatsoever.  The dogs are wilting, the kids are wilting... my elbow armpits are sweaty.  Ugh.

Gamplayerx

Quote from: dazie on July 23, 2005, 12:28:30 PM
OMG this is awful.  It's quite possibly 100 degrees out and we have absolutely NO air conditioning whatsoever.  The dogs are wilting, the kids are wilting... my elbow armpits are sweaty.  Ugh.
That's awful.  Do you have misters?

Gamplayerx

I think my uncle fixes air conditionersbut he's in Tucson (and it may be dishwashers - I can't remember), so I'm completely unhelpful on this point.

Oh!  Except that apparantly you can buy these spray cans of evian water that you can chill and then spritz yourself with that is supposed to be very refreshing.

dazie

I sent Ursus and the kids out to go shopping or to the library or something while I wait for the AC guy to get here.  I may sit in the tub in my bathing suit.

ignom

I'm thinking maybe it was freezing over or something because I had it set at 67 most of the time. Now that it's on 75, when the air comes on, it doesn't make the dripping sound.