News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

New Places

Started by ursus, July 16, 2005, 09:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ursus

Since some of us are in new locales, here's a place to describe the rest-y-rants we are trying.

El Mezcal II:
Meh, but it had been 10 or so days since I had sit down Mexican food. I'm not sure if most gringos here (KS) know what a jalapeno is for, the salsa was really weak. It was better than Taco-Hell. Dazie had a relleno that was pretty tasty.
I was just wondering...

ReBurn

I went to a Mexican restaurant that I had never been to called Sr. Tequila.  It was pretty good, although not exactly authentic.  I had chicken nachos, which I thought were really, really good.  I couldn't eat the chips on the bottom because the oil from the chicken had soaked into them, turning them into one huge mushy glob, but the endless supply of fresh, hot tortilla chips they kept feeding us more than made up for that deficit.

** and a half out of ****
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

dazie

The salsa was, I believe, canned.   :o

However, as soon as my multiple bank snafus get cleared up, we're headed to the "Mad Greek" restaurant, and the "Addis Abbaba" Ethiopian restaurant, and "Arabian Nights" restaurant and and and...

:gamp:  I'm so excited!
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Gamplayerx

Have you had Ethiopian food before?  I'm not a big fan.  The concept is good, but the execution, meh.

dazie

Nope.  It never really occured to me that there IS Ethiopian cuisine.  I mean, look at all those starving children.  If they had cuisine, you'd think they wouldn't be starving.   ::)

(is going to hell)

Infobahn

Macadoos in Roanoke (and western VA) is a sandwich place that has 100 different items, in a place that looks like TGIFridays.  Pretty good, excellent bread, chips, no fires.

ignom

Quote from: Infobahn on July 16, 2005, 02:44:55 PM
Macadoos in Roanoke (and western VA) is a sandwich place that has 100 different items, in a place that looks like TGIFridays.  Pretty good, excellent bread, chips, no fires.

No fires? That's a deal breaker.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Infobahn

Gamplayerx

Quote from: dazie on July 16, 2005, 12:42:30 PM
Nope.  It never really occured to me that there IS Ethiopian cuisine.  I mean, look at all those starving children.  If they had cuisine, you'd think they wouldn't be starving.   ::)

(is going to hell)
No, you're not going to hell.  As I said, the concept is good, but the execution is lacking.  The gist is that they don't use plates or utensils.  What they do is make this big rubbery pancake-like thing.  That's your plate and your fork.  They dollop blobs of differently colored goo around and you tear off pieces of the rubbery pancake-like thing to scoop up and eat the goo.  The goo itself is pretty good (depending on the color - I didn't care for one of the colors much), but the rubbery pancake-like thing is not so tasty.

dazie

BigDun

Quote from: Gamplayerx on July 16, 2005, 08:42:13 PM
Quote from: dazie on July 16, 2005, 12:42:30 PM

(is going to hell)
No, you're not going to hell.  As I said, the concept is good, but the execution is lacking.  The gist is that they don't use plates or utensils.  What they do is make this big rubbery pancake-like thing.  That's your plate and your fork.  They dollop blobs of differently colored goo around and you tear off pieces of the rubbery pancake-like thing to scoop up and eat the goo.  The goo itself is pretty good (depending on the color - I didn't care for one of the colors much), but the rubbery pancake-like thing is not so tasty.

My brother took my wife, mom, and I to an Ethiopian place in Chicago. My brother and wife loved it because it was 100% vegetarian. My mom thought it was Ok. I thought it was meh. I would rather have eaten at a TGI Friday's personally.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

DownSouth

I'm not eating at an Ethiopian restaurant in South Carolina.  The Mexican food is bad enough.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

dazie

We had Greek food for lunch.  Yum.

Although, I'd have rather had another dolma instead of the mushy green beans.

ursus

Quote from: DownSouth on July 18, 2005, 03:39:01 PM
I'm not eating at an Ethiopian restaurant in South Carolina. The Mexican food is bad enough.
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :stfu: :stfu: :lies: :lies: :lies:
I was just wondering...

DownSouth

Quote from: ursus on July 24, 2005, 07:31:07 AM
I'm not eating at an Ethiopian restaurant in South Carolina. The Mexican food is bad enough.
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :stfu: :stfu: :lies: :lies: :lies:
I just meant the mexican food here.  I love Mexican food but after living in SoCal and my mom living in Tucson I got spoiled.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

ReBurn

I went to this place today:

http://www.yoburrito.com/home.html

My rating:  muh. 

You can do much better.

DownSouth

http://www.moes.com/index.php

That's going across the street.  Anybody had it?  Any good?

BigDun

Quote from: DownSouth on July 26, 2005, 02:03:19 PM

I loves me some Moe's.

WELCOME TO MOE'S!
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

DownSouth

Infobahn

My brother likes Don Pedro's in Columbia.  (No, not Don Pablos)

ReBurn

Quote from: BigDun on July 26, 2005, 02:08:19 PM
Quote from: DownSouth on July 26, 2005, 02:03:19 PM

I loves me some Moe's.

WELCOME TO MOE'S!
I like Moe's.  Good quesadillas.  I get mine with peppers, onions and mushrooms for an additional $.79.  Totally worth it.

Beefy

My lunch will once again be boring today.  Leaves with some tuna on them.

DownSouth

Quote from: Infobahn on July 26, 2005, 05:35:44 PM

That's on the other side of the city.

Infobahn

Quote from: DownSouth on July 28, 2005, 11:17:19 AM
Quote from: Infobahn on July 26, 2005, 05:35:44 PM

That's on the other side of the city.
You make it sound like Columbia is huge.
Get in your car and drive, you bum.

DownSouth

Ask your brother what Two Notch Rd. is associated with.  Hint: I keep them in the trunk.