News:

Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

Main Menu

Too damn good to not repost

Started by dazie, March 11, 2005, 10:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dazie

Puerco Pibil
(or- Agent Sand's Pork)  (you know- Johnny Depp in Once Upon a Time in Mexico)

5 TBS Annato seeds (also known as achayote seeds)
2 tsp Cumin seeds
8 Allspice berries
1 TBS Peppercorns
1/2 TBS Whole cloves
1-3 Habanero peppers (deveined, seeded & chopped)
1/2 cup Orange juice
1/2 cup White vinegar
2 TBS Salt
8 cloves Garlic
5 Lemons
1 splash Tequila
5 lbs Pork butt
Banana leaves

Combine first 5 ingredients in a coffee grinder and grind the hell out of them, making sure there are no chunks. You pretty much want spice dust.

Put the peppers, OJ, vinegar, salt and garlic into a blender, add the spice dust and process until smooth. Add the juice only of the lemons, and a healthy splash of tequila.

Cut the pork into 2" chunks, put into a ziplock baggie and pour the liquid in. Let marinade for 10-20 minutes or so, longer if you choose.

Line a roasting pan with banana leaves, dump the marinated pork and juice into it. Cover tightly with more banana leaves. Cover the whole pan with tinfoil, making sure there's no holes.  (if you don't have banana leaves- no problem.  Just use a roasting pan with a tight fitting lid.)

Roast for 4 hours at 325.

Serve over white or Spanish rice.

The last time I made this, I took it to my boss' house.  Even after 7 people ate some, there was still enough left to make teeny burritos with rice, cheese and avocado.  Good stuff.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

BigDun

Wow, that is an amazing ingredient list. I don't know if I will ever cook it, but invite me over the next time you do.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Gamplayerx

That's got to be about the most interesting recipe I've ever read.  The only ingredient that I have is orange juice, though.

dazie

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 12, 2005, 12:02:42 PM
That's got to be about the most interesting recipe I've ever read.  The only ingredient that I have is orange juice, though.

You don't have pepper and salt?  Oh Gamp....  you said you didn't cook but I thought you were exaggerating!  :'(

Gamplayerx

I probably have pepper and salt - the grinders are empty, but I'm pretty sure I have more to refill them with in the pantry.  I think.

ReBurn

heh heh heh you said "pork butt"
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

sapphirehart

I've got the lemons, salt and tequila...but I can think of something easier to do with them than cook that hard recipe.

dazie

mmm.  Teh-kill-ya.

Do that while you're making the pibil.  *lol*  That's what the boss and I did.

It's actually a really easy recipe.  No special skills required.

You can get most of the spices in the latino food section of the grocery store.  Ours around here carry a bunch of different things in little baggies.  I get two bags of annato seeds, 1 bag of cumin seeds, 1 bag of allspice berries and one bag of peppercorns.  The only thing I use all of is the annato seeds.  The rest has enough in the baggie to use for more than one recipe's worth.  I use ~two cloves of elephant garlic instead of regular garlic on occassion.  It has a more mellow flavor.

We did, however, buy a $35 bottle of tequila for it.  A little tequila for the pork, a little tequila for the cook.  :)

As to the banana leaves- feh.  I use my cast iron dutch oven and it works fine.  Banana leaves are hard to come by in Nevada.

ReBurn

dazie

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

ReBurn

Quote from: DownSouth on March 14, 2005, 11:35:36 AM
Tossing pig salad for dinner.
Ok...that's just too gross to even make fun of.

Grumpus

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 12, 2005, 01:04:34 PM
I probably have pepper and salt - the grinders are empty, but I'm pretty sure I have more to refill them with in the pantry.  I think.
You've got Tequila too, remember? Or we did?

OBB

Hopefully no one will come into the kitchen and shoot you after you prepare this.

dazie

Quote from: OBB on March 14, 2005, 09:40:56 PM
Hopefully no one will come into the kitchen and shoot you after you prepare this.

Nobody has yet!  Although my boss did make me drink lots of booze and get so ill I sort of wished I was dead.

Bishamonten

This makes me wish I had saved Nishi's guac recipe from the CH.  Man, I've made that about 10 times already.  So horribly good.

dazie

Quote from: Bishamonten on March 14, 2005, 10:26:52 PM
This makes me wish I had saved Nishi's guac recipe from the CH.  Man, I've made that about 10 times already.  So horribly good.

It is SO good with guac.

ursus

This makes me wish I had saved Nishi's guac recipe from the CH. Man, I've made that about 10 times already. So horribly good.
There's a recipe for guac???? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
I was just wondering...

eo000

You used the same recipe 10 times, and you had to run to the computer each time to make it?

nishi

i wondered the same thing. i went to all that trouble to type it all out, including excruciating directions about the cumin and you didn't save it??

*sigh*

we obviously need a weekly recipe in here.

i'll repost the guac as soon as i get it all written up again.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Bishamonten

Quote from: eo000 on March 17, 2005, 07:28:11 AM
You used the same recipe 10 times, and you had to run to the computer each time to make it?

No, I mostly memorized it.  I meant to have it posted here so it could be shared with others!

dazie

Making this for tonight's dinner.  I'm supposed to have people over, but I haven't talked to them in a few days.  I hope they're still coming!  I should probably call.

BD- you're invited too!

Gamplayerx

Oh, this reminds me!  Wanna hear something gross?  I was cleaning out the fridge about a month ago and found a plastic container hidden way in the back.  I gazed at this new life form with curiosity and wonder.  Where did it come from?  What could it mean?  Would it try and take over the world?

It was leftover Nishi guac.  It apparently was clever enough to hide itself behind the short condiments under the deli drawer so that it could become sentient.