News:

04/07/05 1000th thread provided by Cnamon! This isn't really JuntoOnline. It's CnamonOnline!

Main Menu

Jazz anyone?

Started by ursus, March 09, 2005, 12:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ursus

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 09, 2005, 10:32:24 AM
Back on topic, jazz. I've never really listened to any. Where should I start?
Probably the best place to start is at one of those headphone thingys at B&N or Borders. Go to the jazz section and listen to the freebies. You'll figure out what you like and what you don't.
If you want to take the plunge, there are a couple of things you can pick-up almost anywhere. I'll give you a couple of artist/album combos that you can listen to, entertain to and even do dancing and romancing.
1) Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"
2)Charlie Parker "...and Strings"
3)Dave Brubeck "Take Five/Time Out"
4)Oscar Peterson Trio  pick one
5)Count Basie "The Complete Atomic Basie"

These are all from the mid 1950's/early 1960's. None of them sound like piano tuning contests. Most of them work in several contexts, generally begging for some kind of cocktail (easy) like a good martini or gimlet or somesuch. Dazie hears these on a fairly regular basis, and she digs them (ask her).Most of the jazz played today owes somthing to this group of artists/albums, making them a great place to start (or finish :-\) exploring jazz.

If I can figure out how to create MP3's or wavefiles or the like I'd be glad to shoot you a cut or two.

Think of in terms of the first Rock album you bought. You just sort of bought what family/friends bought and went from there. We all buy stuff we don't end up liking, no harm done.

I hope this helps.
I was just wondering...

Bishamonten

There's an 11 track mix on the clubhouse dump for you gamp.   Password has been changed to 'iloveanal'

Grumpus

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 09, 2005, 02:25:38 PM
I would so love that!!
GIRL!! Try watching the HDTV channels.  They play live blues and jazz almost every night. Austin Live is great. Right now their playin ABBA: The Movie, not that it's jazz but you get the idea. You like that.

Gamplayerx

ABBA: The Movie?  How did you let me go to bed at a reasonable hour?  Did you record it for me?

Gamplayerx

Hehe. I just looked, and he totally did!  Thank you, Grumpus!!

And thanks, Bish - that's awesome!  It'll be the soundtrack for my day.

And thanks, Ursus, for the excellent information.

+ a gazillion for you all!  (or until I get tired of clicking - but I do so love clicky things)

ReBurn

Quote from: Gamplayerx on March 10, 2005, 07:34:41 AM
ABBA: The Movie?  How did you let me go to bed at a reasonable hour?  Did you record it for me?

http://www.cards.deskmates.com/cnt/cards/humor_abba.swf
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Gamplayerx

Hmm.  A clicky thing I didn't love.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED clicking on it.  But I just as much enjoyed clicking the little x in the corner.

ReBurn

That's ok.  It is rather annoying.

ReBurn