News:

Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories.

Main Menu

Wayne Shorter

Started by manosax, October 06, 2007, 12:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manosax

Sometimes I forget how great his music is..

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

manosax

I really like playing over his changes

DownSouth

Me too. Can't get enough.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Beefy

Jessie

Quote from: Beefy on October 06, 2007, 04:46:16 PM
Quote from: DownSouth on October 06, 2007, 03:31:25 PM
Me too. Can't get enough.

You're terrible.

He made me giggle.  Well, he made me perform an action that should have been a giggle but was more of a choked gurgling sound.  I am so over this whole tonsil thing.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

manosax

Actually, I was completely serious.  I heard two of his tunes (Speak No Evil, and Fe Fi Fo Fum) and I remembered that he writes harmonies that are great to improvise over.   >:(

Alice

Are there any videos on YouTube?  I don't think I've ever heard of him - but I'd like to.

Bennyhana

Quote from: manosax on October 06, 2007, 09:26:07 PM
Actually, I was completely serious.  I heard two of his tunes (Speak No Evil, and Fe Fi Fo Fum) and I remembered that he writes harmonies that are great to improvise over.   >:(

we knew YOU were serious.  they were talking about DS.

Sometimes I wish I'd actually taken music classes so i knew enough theory to improvise jazz without someone saying, "Hey, if you stick to this scale, it'll sound good."

manosax

sometimes its really that simple.  The biggest thing that I have found is that you need to have the permission to make mistakes and sound bad.  I've tought improv to kids that are real beginners in music that haven't learned that kind of musical self-consciousness.  You tell them to stick to certian notes and they go for it.

Bennyhana

Quote from: manosax on October 07, 2007, 12:20:21 PM
sometimes its really that simple.  The biggest thing that I have found is that you need to have the permission to make mistakes and sound bad.  I've tought improv to kids that are real beginners in music that haven't learned that kind of musical self-consciousness.  You tell them to stick to certian notes and they go for it.

My guitar teacher got to the point where every couple of weeks, he'd give me a chord progression and a scale to go with it, and he'd try to tell me how certain notes in certain chords in the progression didn't fit in the scale, and how I could deal with that.  Unfortunately, I started learning guitar without really learning music, so I know a good amount of chords, and I understand how their shapes make something minor, or seventh, or minor seventh, etc.  I also eventually gained a rudimentary understanding of what those things mean, but when I play, I feel shapes, I don't see what notes are in the chords.  I can figure them out, of course, but by the time I do, the song's over.  So, the long and the short of it is, most of the last year or so of my guitar lessons were over my head.  So I usually stick to the standard blues progressions and the pentatonic scale.

manosax

You need to take theory lessons.  I think that with a basic understanding of the mechancs of music, you might get more out of it.  If memory serves, the Mel Bay guitar book (which is EVERYWHERE) has the fundimentals of music.  You should be able to get through most of that on your own.

ursus

"Yes and No"

Damn! that's a cool tune.

Joey DeFrancesco's version is the schizznit.
I was just wondering...

manosax

I just think that JOEY is the shiznit!