News:

10/13/05 ReBurn nails the 90,000th post with a bullet! And what a bullet it was.

Main Menu

HUGE Greek and Roman discovery!

Started by OBB, April 18, 2005, 09:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nishi

i liked the architecture stuff too. much more interesting than reading, say, plautus.

my class will be moving quickly past the poetics.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Bennyhana

Quote from: nishi on June 07, 2006, 10:09:44 AM
i liked the architecture stuff too. much more interesting than reading, say, plautus.

"The poetics is a detailed prescription for what 'drama' should be, written by a man who, though he claimed to be the greatest mind since Socrates, could not deduce the existence of gravity.  So, that's the greeks.  Unities.  Vomit.  Moving on to the middle ages..."

nishi

Quote from: Bennyhana on June 07, 2006, 10:17:50 AM

"The poetics is a detailed prescription for what 'drama' should be, written by a man who, though he claimed to be the greatest mind since Socrates, could not deduce the existence of gravity.  So, that's the greeks.  Unities.  Vomit.  Moving on to the middle ages..."

have you been looking at my notes??

i would only add two sentences. "aristotle also wrote 100 years following the theatre performances he describes, which would be like my having you write a very long essay on what you imagine to be the perfections of the engine of a new rolls royce as developed in 1906 - you could make some good guesses, but they would be basically useless as far as the study of history is concerned. as to roman theater, the name of the playright 'plautus' will be on your exam, so we can all add to the illusion that the roman theatre offers anything worth studying. now - moving on to the middle ages....."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Bennyhana

Quote from: nishi on June 07, 2006, 12:35:47 PM
Quote from: Bennyhana on June 07, 2006, 10:17:50 AM

i would only add two sentences. "aristotle also wrote 100 years following the theatre performances he describes, which would be like my having you write a very long essay on what you imagine to be the perfections of the engine of a new rolls royce as developed in 1906 - you could make some good guesses, but they would be basically useless as far as the study of history is concerned. as to roman theater, the name of the playright 'plautus' will be on your exam, so we can all add to the illusion that the roman theatre offers anything worth studying. now - moving on to the middle ages....."

I'm signing up.  When is registration?

nishi

classes start august 28. and we're not reading any of those middle age morality plays, either. those we're acting out with finger puppets.
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Listener

Quote from: nishi on June 07, 2006, 12:35:47 PM

That soiunds like something I would say if I was teaching a class like this.  Rock on.