News:

Incontinence Hotline ... Can you hold, please?

Main Menu

Austin City Limits

Started by Dry then Catch, June 08, 2007, 12:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry then Catch

http://www.aclfestival.com/lineup.aspx

In my opinion not nearly even close to awesome as last years lineup, but I bought tickets anyway.  the only band I liked already is Pete Yorn and the Decemberists (thanks beefy!) and have limited positive exposure to Ben Kweller and Wilco.

I'm going to try really  hard to get into Arcade Fire, Bjork (is this possible), Yo La Tengo (i probably should anyway) and Arctic Monkeys

VikingJuice

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on June 08, 2007, 12:23:35 PM
http://www.aclfestival.com/lineup.aspx

In my opinion not nearly even close to awesome as last years lineup, but I bought tickets anyway.  the only band I liked already is Pete Yorn and the Decemberists (thanks beefy!) and have limited positive exposure to Ben Kweller and Wilco.

I'm going to try really  hard to get into Arcade Fire, Bjork (is this possible), Yo La Tengo (i probably should anyway) and Arctic Monkeys

Add Reverend Horton Heat to your list of stuff to see.  I've seen 'em twice and they are soooo fun.  It'sa  rockabilly band that has a few crazy songs but most of it is just good old style rock.  Think Buddy Holly on Meth with lots of very dance-able music!!

Jessie

My Morning Jacket is from Louisville.

I would love to see:

Queens of the Stone Age
Arctic Monkeys
Joss Stone
Damien Rice
Spoon
Blue October (I hate myself for that)
The Decemberists (especially)
Amy Winehouse (I think, I've only heard a little of her stuff)
Bela Fleck
Pete Yorn
Reverend Horton Heat
Del McCoury Band
Big Sam's Funky Nation (I've never heard of this one, but with a name like that, you can't go wrong)
Crowded House (not quite as much as a lot of the others, but I wouldn't mind)

I'm guessing that I'd like or love most of the other bands too, I just don't know them yet.  Damn it, now I want to go :(
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Alice

I'd go if I could stab Regina Spektor in the face.

dazie

Isn't Amy Winehouse the flavor of the month?  I've heard tons ABOUT her lately, but I don't think I've ever heard any of her songs.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Beefy

Pete Yorn's latest CD is a disappointment.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beefy on June 08, 2007, 03:24:04 PM
Pete Yorn's latest CD is a disappointment.

i have Day I Forgot, and its OK, but I hear the only really knock your socks off CD is his debut.  And from the times I've heard it, I would agree. 

come on beefy, make the drive and buy some tickets.  if my friends ask I'll say I met you at some projectile launching

Beefy

If I even tried to spend half a day outdoors I would explode.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beefy on June 08, 2007, 04:26:00 PM

LAST CHANCE BEEFY YOU CAN CRASH IN OUR ROOM

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 12, 2007, 12:44:50 PM
Quote from: Beefy on June 08, 2007, 04:26:00 PM

LAST CHANCE BEEFY YOU CAN CRASH IN OUR ROOM

Thank you, but I's gots responsibilities to tend to.

Feel free to drive over and say hi, though.

Jessie

Come to Texas the 25th and 26th instead, because I'll be there.

ReBurn

I watch Austin City Limits on PBS sometimes. Or at least I have in the last couple of years. Is it still on?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

VikingJuice

Quote from: ReBurn on September 12, 2007, 01:17:40 PM
I watch Austin City Limits on PBS sometimes. Or at least I have in the last couple of years. Is it still on?

Yep. They were playing some dude I never heard of last week.

Dry then Catch

since beefy asked

fire

this is mainly my opportunity to show off witty shirts

DownSouth

It looks hot. You should have worn a hat.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

ReBurn

Dry then Catch

Pros:

-Logistically smooth as fucking silk.  the planners know how to run an event
-cheap food, and you could bring pretty much whatever you wanted in a backback
-considerate and relatively mature guests
-short and more or less clean port-o-potties
-the evenings were beautiful
-lots of smaller more intimate stages
-breasts

cons:
-not only hot but humid
-not as many great bands as the previous years
-bob dylan
-the big shows got crowded fast
-the acoustics aren't that great
-the shuttle service was packed

some guy cut in front of me in line in a very clever fashion.  he asked to use one of our cell phones, and I volunteered.  He talked for awhile and next thing you know he is in front of me.  My friends called me stupid, as I didn't even realize it happened till like 10 minutes later.  So I texted whoever this line cutter called and called him out. 

I saw:
Jessie Malin   -ok
Pete Yorn - the huge fire was distracting
Gotan Project   -good
Spoon        -pretty good
Killers         -what you expectd
about 5 minutes of Bjork    -awful

Butch Walker - great
Arctic Monkeys -ok
Joss Stone - ok
Indigo Girls - I'm not afraid to say they were awesome
Arcade Fire - too far away to really experience it

Yo La Tengo - disappointed, the band I was looking most forward to seeing.  too much intentional distortion and screeching
Ben Kweller - ok
Amos Lee - good all the girls creamed themselves
Bloc Party - not impressed
Wilco - great
The Decemberists - great
Bob Dylan HAHAHA

I would have liked to seen Regina Spektor, The National Cold War Kids and My Morning Jacket, Peter Bjorn and John but scheduling was a bitch. 

Dry then Catch

Quote from: DownSouth on October 08, 2007, 10:10:05 PM
It looks hot. You should have worn a hat.

I did, but by the time the sun set it was great.

Oh if you guys couldn't tell my hairline started receding in a pretty accelerated fashion about a year ago

Jessie

That sounds awesome, except the hot part.

I keep trying to be into My Morning Jacket, with them being from Louisville and all, but I just can't.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like Bob Dylan.

I'm determined to see The Decemberists live sometime in the near future.

Gamplayerx

Beefy

QuoteYo La Tengo - disappointed, the band I was looking most forward to seeing.  too much intentional distortion and screeching

That's pretty much your usual Yo La Tengo show.  They ride the feedback, much like Sonic Youth.  And they're very good at it.  But you have to be into that kind of thing.  Electr-o-pura is one of my favorite albums by them, and it's drenched in feedback.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Beefy on October 09, 2007, 09:16:56 AM
QuoteYo La Tengo - disappointed, the band I was looking most forward to seeing.  too much intentional distortion and screeching

That's pretty much your usual Yo La Tengo show.  They ride the feedback, much like Sonic Youth.  And they're very good at it.  But you have to be into that kind of thing.  Electr-o-pura is one of my favorite albums by them, and it's drenched in feedback.

I guess I'm not that hardcore.  It just hurt my ears and seemed repetitive.  15 minutes of the same riff.   It may have been the outdoors, cause actually the hypnotic riffs sort of work well in a car on a long drive or ipod.    I was trying to get my friends to enjoy this band and it didn't help.    I liked it when they actually sang though.

Beefy

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on October 09, 2007, 11:42:25 AM

I guess I'm not that hardcore.  It just hurt my ears and seemed repetitive.  15 minutes of the same riff.   It may have been the outdoors, cause actually the hypnotic riffs sort of work well in a car on a long drive or ipod.    I was trying to get my friends to enjoy this band and it didn't help.    I liked it when they actually sang though.

It's not about being hardcore.  Different people like different things.  My absolute favorite Yo La Tengo stuff is their acoustic, folkier songs. 

ReBurn

Quote from: Beefy on October 09, 2007, 11:58:39 AM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on October 09, 2007, 11:42:25 AM

It's not about being hardcore.  Different people like different things.  My absolute favorite Yo La Tengo stuff is their acoustic, folkier songs. 
Pish. EVERYTHING is about being hard core.