News:

Speaking as a chick, I just can't get enough of the wang bone.

Main Menu

Turn your Region 1 DVD player into an any Region DVD player

Started by Beefy, January 15, 2007, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamplayerx

Here's a question I never thought to ask before and am too lazy to look up the answer to:  can computers play dvds from any region?

Beefy

Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 16, 2007, 07:31:10 PM
Here's a question I never thought to ask before and am too lazy to look up the answer to:  can computers play dvds from any region?

Here's what I remember being told, which may no longer apply or even be totally incorrect.

Every computer with a DVD-R drive is basically a Region 0 DVD player when you first get it.  You then have three to five uses of it to set what Region you want it to be.  Most Americans only ever use Region 1 so the player defaults to Region 1 after the five uses.  However, you can direct to be a Region 2 player if you want.  And once it's set, it's set.

ReBurn or Hatt probably have better answers.

BigDun

Quote from: Beefy on January 16, 2007, 07:49:23 PM
Quote from: Gamplayerx on January 16, 2007, 07:31:10 PM

Here's what I remember being told, which may no longer apply or even be totally incorrect.

Every computer with a DVD-R drive is basically a Region 0 DVD player when you first get it.  You then have three to five uses of it to set what Region you want it to be.  Most Americans only ever use Region 1 so the player defaults to Region 1 after the five uses.  However, you can direct to be a Region 2 player if you want.  And once it's set, it's set.

ReBurn or Hatt probably have better answers.

You are correct.

If you go into Properties of My Computer, click on the Hardware tab, Click the Device Manager, then get the Properties for your DVD drive in DVD/DC-ROM Drives, and go to the DVD Region tab - you will see the number of plays left on that drive before it becomes region locked.

My desktop has two DVD drives that I have very rarely used. It shows I have 2 plays on the first drive and 4 plays on the second drive before they lock.

After they lock, you can never unlock them. Not even re-installing Windows will revert them back to a US region player.

16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

Gamplayerx

That's really interesting - I had no idea.  I wonder why they can't be endlessly changeable.  That makes no sense.

I have 4 changes left.  :)

Bennyhana