News:

Two rules to success in life: 1. Don't tell people everything you know.

Main Menu

MSNBC

Started by Listener, August 10, 2006, 12:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listener

It's interesting to me that we as a nation have accepted MSNBC as a legitimate news organization without really taking into account the "MS" part... I seem to remember that when MSNBC first hit the air, it got terrible ratings and was generally derided for having the "MS" in its name.  Now, all of a sudden, it's one of the Big Three 24-hour news channels.

Did I miss a memo?

Alice

MSNBC > FOX

I think that's the only reason why.

Bennyhana

Bill Gates > Bill O'RLY.

Which is pretty sad.

cnamon

Countdown with Keith Olberman.  Or however the fuck you spell his last name.

And what Alice said.

It's funny.  When I went to the Senate and House Buildings last week, I peeked in a few offices to see what was on the TV.  Fox News for the red, C-Span and CNN mostly for the blue...

Alice

I mean, Bush got voted back into office even though he sucks balls.  Mainly because about 55% of people believe that Bush > Kerry... not because they really like Bush.

Bennyhana

Quote from: Dottie Lou on August 10, 2006, 12:46:24 PM
Countdown with Keith Olberman.  Or however the fuck you spell his last name.

And what Alice said.

It's funny.  When I went to the Senate and House Buildings last week, I peeked in a few offices to see what was on the TV.  Fox News for the red, C-Span and CNN mostly for the blue...

Good to see our legislators are hard at work watching TV.

Why would they watch C-span?  Isn't that like Paris Hilton watching E?  What's the point?

Infobahn

I believe NBC has bought out M$'s share of the network.  It is only by name at this point, and branding changes can be painful.

Listener

Quote from: Infobahn on August 10, 2006, 01:11:35 PM
I believe NBC has bought out M$'s share of the network.  It is only by name at this point, and branding changes can be painful.

I'm not necessarily contending that it matters that MS used to be part of it.  I'm just saying, when did the "MS" cease to matter to the viewer at home who might not know that NBC bought out MS's share?

Infobahn

Did the "MS" really ever matter?  I doubt more than 10% of cable households even know what the MS, in MSNBC stands for to begin with.

ReBurn

I still don't understand why the "MS" part would somehow weaken the credibility of the name. 

MSNBC was/is a joint television-web news distribution venture between Microsoft and NBC.  Microsoft is much better at managing the web part of the deal than NBC could ever hope to be.  Microsoft supplies the savvy, NBC supplies the news.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

Mr. Wizard could kick MSNBC's butt.

ReBurn

Quote from: Beefy on August 16, 2006, 08:42:31 AM
Mr. Wizard could kick MSNBC's butt.
You want a piece of me or something!?  :P
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!