News:

9/8/05: 6 months, 75,000 posts! Thanks to Nishi for the post!

Main Menu

Rilo Kiley

Started by Dry then Catch, March 09, 2006, 05:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry then Catch

On suggestion, I downloaded "Portion for Foxes" and "More Adventurous" and was plesasantly surprised.  They are pigeonholed into indie-rock-country, but more accurately Rilo Kiley reminds me of Lisa Loeb.  Althought close enough in age, most of Rilo's fanbase is probably is generationally different than Lisa Loeb Gen X followers. 

There is something very fresh and haunting about Jenny Lewis's (child actress in that nintendo movie with fred savage) voice.   I mean it really sticks in your brain her voice seems so honest.   

her lyrics can run a little ham fisted and an otherwise great opening track was ruined by shitty self righteous politics.  But they are very honest sounding, and generally described failed relationships (natch), being alone and desperate, searches for God (fairly agnostic sounding), and other mid 20s bullshit. 

ok enough anyone else heard of them? 

Listener

"Portions for Foxes" is pretty good, but I have some of their other stuff and it's slightly-better-than-mediocre at best.  One of my friends saw them live and said it was an uninspired show -- they didn't do anything but play straight through the set list, no vamping or anything.

YMMV

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Listener on March 09, 2006, 05:44:07 PM
"Portions for Foxes" is pretty good, but I have some of their other stuff and it's slightly-better-than-mediocre at best.  One of my friends saw them live and said it was an uninspired show -- they didn't do anything but play straight through the set list, no vamping or anything.

YMMV

I was excited because I thought I heard an obscure artist.  Sure they aren't radio mainstream, but every 21 yr old hipster on Myspace has them listed.

yeah I'd give it a B, its not an incredible album, but I feel they have so much potential and raw talent.  did you feel that some of their writing was rather maudlin, like some teenager girl's diary?  I mean the Bush is a chimp, FU UPPER MIDDLE CLASS SUBURBIA in the first track was rather blase'. 

But i still like their sound and I love her voice.

did you like "Absence of God"?

Listener

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on March 09, 2006, 05:48:11 PM

YMMV

I was excited because I thought I heard an obscure artist.  Sure they aren't radio mainstream, but every 21 yr old hipster on Myspace has them listed.

yeah I'd give it a B, its not an incredible album, but I feel they have so much potential and raw talent.  did you feel that some of their writing was rather maudlin, like some teenager girl's diary?  I mean the Bush is a chimp, FU UPPER MIDDLE CLASS SUBURBIA in the first track was rather blase'. 

I don't think I have that one.  I have the Takeoffs and Landings album and a few cuts from one of the others, but not the one that has PFF on it.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Listener on March 09, 2006, 05:50:20 PM
Quote from: CatchrNdRy on March 09, 2006, 05:48:11 PM

YMMV

I don't think I have that one.  I have the Takeoffs and Landings album and a few cuts from one of the others, but not the one that has PFF on it.

Download it or i'll send it.  Its probably their best song (IMHO), her constantly contradictory stance on the exsistance and role of God makes her seem so vulnerable and confused. 

i really wanted to like this album, but its feels like when a good author tries to hard to be impressive and deep.    nonethless i'd say about half the tracks I enjoy, and about 3 I really love, so it made it worth the money.