News:

Do you all even read these?

Main Menu

Television that genuinely surprises you.

Started by Bishamonten, October 25, 2005, 09:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishamonten

Generally, television is pretty rote.  You can usually see things coming from a mile away.  So, when something happens that genuinely surprises you, it's always a nice treat.  Last night I was watching Season 2 of the X-Files and at one point, Scully is trying to find Mulder because she fears his life is in danger.  As such, she contacts Mr X who appears, sees her and pretends he's in the wrong place - leaving her high and dry.  As the elevator hits the bottom floor, Director Skinner( one of Mulders "adversaries" in the agency ) is at the bottom of the floor blocking his way.  He puts the hurt on Mr X( who gives as good as he gets ) and finally convinces him to divulge the information Scully needs.  It's a nice turn.  Nobody expected Skinner to be at the bottom of that elevator nor did they expect to see Skinner get into a full on brawl with X.  It's a really nice development of both characters as well as the interrelationships between them all.  I like being surprised.

ReBurn

Well at least you were surprised.  Those of us who haven't seen that episode won't be.

Thanks a lot, Bish.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Bishamonten

Quote from: Sweet Fundie Cheerleader on October 25, 2005, 09:48:13 AM
Well at least you were surprised.  Those of us who haven't seen that episode won't be.

Thanks a lot, Bish.

Darth Vader is Luke's father.
Elizabeth really does love Mr Darcy.
Turns out Patrick Duffy was just in the shower. 

ReBurn

Quote from: Bishamonten on October 25, 2005, 09:49:59 AM
Quote from: Sweet Fundie Cheerleader on October 25, 2005, 09:48:13 AM

Thanks a lot, Bish.

Darth Vader is Luke's father.
Elizabeth really does love Mr Darcy.
Turns out Patrick Duffy was just in the shower. 

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Alice

That's why I liked Angel a lot.  Of course there were obvious moments - but at least once an episode, Joss Whedon would do something you wouldn't see coming. 

Bishamonten

Quote from: Alice on October 25, 2005, 09:55:40 AM
That's why I liked Angel a lot.  Of course there were obvious moments - but at least once an episode, Joss Whedon would do something you wouldn't see coming. 

Angel was a damn good show.  The final episode and what happens to Wesley and "Fred" was just heartbreaking.

"I'm feeling grief for him. I cannot control it. I wish to do more violence now"

ignom

That's why I like King of Queens. You never know what wacky antics Doug and Arthur will get in to.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Bishamonten

Quote from: ignom on October 25, 2005, 09:59:01 AM
That's why I like King of Queens. You never know what wacky antics Doug and Arthur will get in to.

Yes, or just how mannish his wife will look this episode!

DownSouth

Touching Evil surprised me on just about every episode.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

cnamon

Quote from: Bishamonten on October 25, 2005, 10:00:29 AM

I think she is hot.

ignom

Quote from: cnamon on October 25, 2005, 11:46:46 AM
Quote from: Bishamonten on October 25, 2005, 10:00:29 AM

I think she is hot.

Probably because she's mannish.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Dry then Catch

There was a Sat morning Disney cartoon a few years ago called Lloyd in Space (related to Recess), that reminded me of cartoons of olde, but also edgier.  Of course it completely went unrecognized and i'll probably never see an episode of it again.

ex.  lloyd is around puberty age and embarrasingly when he thinks about girls his "antenna" broadcasts alter egos. his grandfather makes some stories that sound a little too much like masturbation.  i wonder how it got past disney. 

Cartoons are literally such utter shit these days and I'm not just doing the whole "back in my day" type of speak.  I could prove in quanitifiably as well. 

VikingJuice

I so love that show!  I never paid attention to it for years but now that it's syndicated, I watch it a lot.

DownSouth

16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

nishi

being continually surprised is why i loved twin peaks so. certainly, near the end, there were so many 'surprises' that the plot became completely swamped. but in every episode, especially the first season, there was something that would leave me absolutely stunned. sometimes it was something that was funny - agent cooper's double-take with the llama in the vet's office, or the table at the police station with its elaborate display of doughnuts, or lucy's monologue on which phone to use - but he pulled it off with sudden plot twists, reveals on character, or sometimes something that was just too fucking creepy to be tolerated (bob climbing over the sofa, straight into the camera).

i was so angry at the way that show ended that i'd still like to punch david lynch in the snoot.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Alice

I loved Twin Peaks.  I think I was too young to understand some of it, but I watched it with my mom all the time. 

In English class we had to read a poem along to a song.  I used the dancing midget song.

nishi

i realized that i am going through massive twin peaks withdrawal. i'm going to have to start watching the series again post-haste!!

[Talking into tape recorder]
Cooper: Diane, last night I dreamed I was eating a large, tasteless gumdrop, and awoke to discover I was chewing on one of my foam disposable earplugs. Perhaps I should consider moderating my nighttime coffee consumption.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Bishamonten

Quote from: nishi on October 25, 2005, 03:20:52 PM
i realized that i am going through massive twin peaks withdrawal. i'm going to have to start watching the series again post-haste!!

Cooper: Diane, last night I dreamed I was eating a large, tasteless gumdrop, and awoke to discover I was chewing on one of my foam disposable earplugs. Perhaps I should consider moderating my nighttime coffee consumption.

I can watch just about anything with Micheal J Anderson in it.  The guy is one of the best actors around.  Sadly his physical stature limits his roles.

Beefy

Nothing on TV or film really surprises me anymore.  I'm far too jaded and have a bad tendency to spoil things for myself long before I watch anything.

Bishamonten

Quote from: Beef on October 25, 2005, 03:32:17 PM
Nothing on TV or film really surprises me anymore.  I'm far too jaded and have a bad tendency to spoil things for myself long before I watch anything.

I keeeeed, I keeed!

Gamplayerx

Quote from: Bishamonten on October 25, 2005, 03:24:37 PM
Quote from: nishi on October 25, 2005, 03:20:52 PM

I can watch just about anything with Micheal J Anderson in it.  The guy is one of the best actors around.  Sadly his physical stature limits his roles.
Damn you and your non-popping links!

DownSouth

What about Al Roker falling down?

Beefy

Just a rare moment of honesty.

But then, it's not like I watch a bunch of TV.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Bishamonten on October 25, 2005, 03:37:21 PM

I keeeeed, I keeed!

BWAHHH!!!  Too funny.  I have a friend like that, not Beef, who is ALWAYS so blue on the phone or on my answering machine.  He sounds like the blade is in his fingers and then when you talk to him, there is truly nothing wrong.