News:

04/12/07 - Congrats to dots for snatching the real 200,000th post! Riding on her coattails, I guess we can spare some kudos to Jessie for the less real 200,000th post.

Main Menu

A Very Long Engagement

Started by ignom, September 07, 2005, 08:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ignom

After talking about it in that other thread, I bought a used copy and watched it last night.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000466/

Being by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, it has a similar style to Amelie, but the tone is completely different. Instead of a lighthearted romantic film, it takes on the a more somber mood as Audrey Tautou's character struggles to find if her fiance is still alive after being sentenced to death for self-mutilation during WWI.

Good film. I recommend it.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ignom on September 07, 2005, 08:34:11 AM
After talking about it in that other thread, I bought a used copy and watched it last night.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000466/

Being by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, it has a similar style to Amelie, but the tone is completely different. Instead of a lighthearted romantic film, it takes on the a more somber mood as Audrey Tautou's character struggles to find if her fiance is still alive after being sentenced to death for self-mutilation during WWI.

Good film. I recommend it.

How about amelie??  I had someone recommend that movie to me once...
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

ignom

Amelie is a beautiful film.

Great story, fun and moving. Visually it is perhaps the best film I've ever seen, so much time and thought put into the style.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ignom on September 07, 2005, 09:19:39 AM

Great story, fun and moving. Visually it is perhaps the best film I've ever seen, so much time and thought put into the style.

Is it good enough to purchase, or does it not hold repeat viewing merit?
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

ignom

Quote from: Marixis on September 07, 2005, 09:24:46 AM

I've seen Amelie many times. It's $14 at Best Buy.

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: ignom on September 07, 2005, 09:29:13 AM
Quote from: Marixis on September 07, 2005, 09:24:46 AM

I've seen Amelie many times. It's $14 at Best Buy.

Ive seen it every time i browse the movies.  Movies ar so boring that i might need to turn to foreign films.   I might start there.

Beefy

Jeunet is incapable of making a visually boring film.  Even Alien: Resurrection looked good.

dazie

Amelie is one of my kids' favorite films.  We watch it in French, and even my daughter loves it.  She can't read all the subtitles yet, but she can catch the gist of the film anyway.  Definitely buy it.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?