News:

Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

Main Menu

On the topic of cat ownership

Started by Beef, July 26, 2005, 06:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

I've never owned a cat.  I'm allergic to them, so we were always a dog household.

I understand that cats are vastly different creatures than dogs are.  I had a couple of cats who lived with me when they felt like it when I lived in Miami.  They certainly do not rely on the attention of humanity to get through their day.

That said, I firmly believe that when you purchase/adopt a pet of any kind that you are accepting responsibility for the welfare of that animal, and it is up to you to ensure the safety of that animal.

The speed limit in my neighborhood is 30 mph.  At night, when the speed limit legally drops 5 mph, it is 25 mph.

So, then, I am unsure who irritates me more - the irresponsible cat owners who feel that their only duty is to put a bowl of food and water out back twice a day and let their cats roam and run free as they see fit, or the person speeding along at night and not paying enough attention to avoid flattening the cat in the middle of the road.

What surprises me is that I don't see this more often, as my neighborhood is overrun with free-roaming felines.

In any case, I feel the fault lies not just with the driver, but with the owner as well.  Cats may be of a different nature than dogs, but it doesn't make it any less the owner's responsibility to ensure the welfare of that animal.

Gamplayerx

That's sad.  Poor kitty.

We have a leash law that applies to cats as well.

DownSouth

I don't understand why stray dogs get picked up by the pound and cats are just acceptable.  I had a stray cat give birth to 5 kittens in my outdoor storage closet a few years ago.  I fed her and let them stay till they were ready.  5 more strays.  I probably should have called the pound.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

Infobahn

Be assured, that cat's soul is sitting safely by Satan's side.

dazie

Our cats have become 100% indoor cats since we moved.  After Albert got his fat but KICKED by the cat next door, both have decided to become a little less adventurous.

We took a stray in a long time ago.  She was pregnant, flea bitten and sweet.  Then the fleas got everywhere and the wretched thing needed a C-section.  $200.  She was so weak from the C Section that she didn't get fixed right then.  Aaaand you can guess what happened.   ::)  That was the end of Teddy living with us.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Bennyhana

When I found my kitty, she was also pregnant.  She had the added difficulty of having a  broken pelvis, so she'd never survive kittens.  The vet aborted the litter and fixed her at the same time.  Thankfully, it was only 130 bucks, and she's healthy and not overpopulating.  :)  She also stays inside where she can better terrorize the dog.