News:

3/12/05 5000th post provided by Bishamonten

Main Menu

Oliver Stone making 9/11 movie with Nic Cage

Started by Beef, July 09, 2005, 09:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20675

Exploitation?  A legit opportunity for drama?  A proper showcase for heroism?

eo000

this makes me feel very hypocritical.

i want to say it's too soon. i want to say it's poor taste to bank on the misfortune of others.

i want to see this movie when it comes out. i have seen movies that have done the same thing before.

Beefy

The thing that gets me is I associate Cage with cheesy Bruckheimer movies now, which this film absolutely should not be.

Also, Stone hasn't made a good film since... uh... JFK?

BigDun

Too soon. Way too soon.

This movie should wait until the next generation film makers come into their own.
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

nishi

exploitation, but without that as a motivation. i know that stone and cage would love to do something that really honors those people. but it's too soon. this is our vietnam - iraq isn't. 9/11 is. we're too close to make sense of it, too close to see more complicated themes and meaning that differentiate good film from bullshit flag-waving film.

this is going to be the towering inferno with terrorists.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Bishamonten

Oliver Stone is difficult for me.  He's a pompous arrogant ass who is more willing to blame the audience's than to admit that he made a stinker flick( i.e. Alexander ).  BUT - he was in The Battle of Love's Return directed by Demi-God Lloyd Kaufmann, so that earns him points.  Maybe it'll be good.  Maybe it'll be crap.

Nicholas Cage is a lot of fun.  Dude went balls to the wall in Leaving Las Vegas, won and Oscar and said, "to hell with you, I'm going to make fun movies."   If you can't sit down and mindlessly enjoy movies like The Rock and Con Air, then you're taking yourself and movies too seriously.  Hopefully Cage does justice to Ghost Rider.

nishi

yeah - it's interesting. i have more faith in nic cage than i do in oliver stone. oliver likes to make a statement. nic likes to act in movies that are interesting to him - and interesting for a variety of reasons. i'm confident that the leaving las vegas and raising arizona guy is still in there. it would be nice to find a director that could use that effectively for a project like this... but i don't think stone is it.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Beefy

Stone seems to me to be one of those immensely talented filmmakers that just doesn't know what to do with himself.  How can you make Platoon and JFK and then make U-Turn?  Ugh.

Alice

I'm okay with it.  It's been long enough for a lot of us to deal/heal with it.  My mom still gets teary now and then about it - but in general she's dealing and the wife of our family friend who died in the plane is dealing with it okay now too.

I think if Oliver Stone puts some money towards foundations set up in some of the vicitms names, I'd be cool with all of this.

ignom

Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.