News:

mmmhhphh hmmph I chhoudnph hcjear youph wiff fis crunphing in my mouphthmph.

Main Menu

Movie Sound

Started by Bennyhana, September 20, 2007, 10:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennyhana

Am I the only one who is frustrated at they way they mix sound for movies?  The dialogue is always super quiet, while explosions and songs are BLARING.  Had I a 5.1 receiver, there would be a chance I could bump the center channel up and take everything else down.  But I don't.  So, why do I have to sit through poorly mixed sound so some dumbass who doesn't know how to turn his sub up can shoot in his pants every time his couch shakes?  Shouldn't they mix it so that it sounds right for those of us who don't have separate channels, and let the people who paid $2000 for their stereo learn how to use the damn thing?

Beefy

I am of the opinion that every DVD should have a 2.0 audio track available for those without surround sound.  Alas, I am not in charge of such things.

meredith

I thought it was still common for most DVDs to have the basic MPEG 1 Layer 2 2 channel audio stream, and AC-3 or DTS was a bonus.

ReBurn

It isn't just movies. A lot of TV shows are the same way these days.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Beefy

Quote from: hatt on September 20, 2007, 11:25:47 AM
I thought it was still common for most DVDs to have the basic MPEG 1 Layer 2 2 channel audio stream, and AC-3 or DTS was a bonus.

In my experience, it's becoming increasingly uncommon to find 2.0 mixes.

Bennyhana

Quote from: ReBurn on September 20, 2007, 11:56:34 AM

I usually tend not to watch such shows.  But last night, Erica and I were watching Chuck (the new NBC show), which looks and sounds like a movie.  That's actually what sparked this rant.

And I shouldn't have to change the sound channel to hear dialog.  I guess it goes to show you what movies are really about.

DownSouth

I hate that so much.  I used to wake up really early and watch movies and i tried to be considerate of my neighbors and be quiet.  Half the time I was like a dog with its ears perked up trying to hear the dialogue and then an explosion or music would come on and shake the walls.  I had to watch them with my remote ready to turn down the sound.
16:15:43 [Gamplayerx] Juneau, I could really go for some pie. You better Belize it!

ReBurn

A lot of the time I turn the subtitles on to compensate so that I don't have to keep doing the up and down with the volume. My TV has a setting that equalizes the sound, but it doesn't always work well.

Bennyhana

I would totally buy a device that you connect in line between your DVD and your TV that decoded the multichannel audio, attenuated everything but the center channel, then remixed it back together (or, better yet, there were controls on it so I could decide what I wanted to hear).  You know, if it was $10 at radio shack.

manosax

I've never had that problem either when I'm listening to 5.1 or sound through the tv... :-\

Jessie

I'm constantly adjusting the volume on movies because  I can't hear wtf they're saying, but the background noise is likely shaking my neighbors' walls.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Dry then Catch

Quote from: Bennyhana on September 20, 2007, 12:50:46 PM

I usually tend not to watch such shows.  But last night, Erica and I were watching Chuck (the new NBC show), which looks and sounds like a movie.  That's actually what sparked this rant.

And I shouldn't have to change the sound channel to hear dialog.  I guess it goes to show you what movies are really about.

How is Chuck BTW?  I hear he is a nerd, because he uses a computer and says he is a nerd. 

BigDun

Quote from: CatchrNdRy on September 20, 2007, 11:27:47 PM

How is Chuck BTW?  I hear he is a nerd, because he uses a computer and says he is a nerd. 

http://www.juntoonline.com/forum/index.php?topic=13152.0
16:26:25 [DownSouth] I'm in a monkey rutt

ReBurn

By the way, the new Commando director's cut has a Dolby 2.0 track. You can all rest at ease. And about telling Sully that he was going to kill him last? He lied.

Bennyhana

he's a nerd, and yet somehow has a mac.  Stupid Hollywood.

meredith

plenty of nerds sporting macs since OSX

nerds with $$$ that is

manosax

and remember that wazniack and jobs were the ultimate nerds in high school...

Dry then Catch

I completely agree with Benny.  Sometimes I turn on the subtitles. 

Alice

My friend's girlfriend has to watch movies with subtitles.  Not because she's hard of hearing, just because she's irritating.  Plus she always ends up falling asleep half way through the effing movies anyway.

Bennyhana

Quote from: manosax on September 24, 2007, 07:12:36 PM
and remember that wazniack and jobs were the ultimate nerds in high school...

The Woz is a God to me.  It was when he stopped having an influence that Apple went to shit.

/still drunk.  Still love the Woz.

VikingJuice

Quote from: Beefy on September 20, 2007, 12:05:43 PM
Quote from: hatt on September 20, 2007, 11:25:47 AM

In my experience, it's becoming increasingly uncommon to find 2.0 mixes.

[attachment deleted by admin]

manosax

Quote from: Bennyhana on September 24, 2007, 01:59:42 PM

he's a nerd, and yet somehow has a mac.  Stupid Hollywood.

and he's a really good loking nerd.... riiiight!  piss me off