News:

9/7/05- 6 months! How the heck did we miss that date?? And you didn't even remember to get me a gift!

Main Menu

DNS problem...

Started by swolt, June 03, 2006, 10:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swolt

so let's say, in theory, I set up my active directory and DNS with a name of computerheaven.com. Now let's say, again in theory, that no computers in the network can access www.computerheaven.com or mail.computerheaven.com becasue they are looking to the internal server (the www and mail servers are hosted externally.)

Does anyone know how to set a DNS forwarder to forward www and mail so it looks external instead of internal?
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

eo000

Jessie

Quote from: eo000 on June 04, 2006, 12:40:53 AM
no.
I'm not quite sure why this amused me so, but it did.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

meredith

what you really want to do is make the windows domain a subdomain of the public one, such as "ch.computerheaven.com" or something.  when setting up structures for businesses with a few offices, I do things like "ind.frobtech.com", "atl.frobtech.com", etc. 

since your PDC believes itself to be the authoritative server for computerheaven.com, it will never forward queries to another server for that zone.  you can simply add the A records for www and mail and make sure that they are changed to match any time the public server's records are changed.

swolt

Quote from: hattmoward on June 04, 2006, 01:56:27 PM
what you really want to do is make the windows domain a subdomain of the public one, such as "ch.computerheaven.com" or something.  when setting up structures for businesses with a few offices, I do things like "ind.frobtech.com", "atl.frobtech.com", etc. 

since your PDC believes itself to be the authoritative server for computerheaven.com, it will never forward queries to another server for that zone.  you can simply add the A records for www and mail and make sure that they are changed to match any time the public server's records are changed.

so how do you add the A records for www and mail?
I haven't done domain server stuff in a long time. I thought it would come back to me but it didn't.

meredith

Administrative tools, DNS, Forward Lookup Zones, computerheaven.com, context menu, new host (A)

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

ReBurn

Oh, and I'm betting that swolt didn't do this in theory.  I bet he did it in reality.
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

swolt

Quote from: ReBurn on June 04, 2006, 03:25:07 PM
Oh, and I'm betting that swolt didn't do this in theory.  I bet he did it in reality.
shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

meredith

Quote from: ReBurn on June 04, 2006, 03:23:33 PM
Yay for frobtech!

if you've got the job, we've got the frob.

WileE

Quote from: ReBurn on June 04, 2006, 03:25:07 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Snakes on a mutha-f%$#in' plane!!!

"The Temple of Syrnix is havin' the bake sale of the year."

swolt

d'oh!

it was far easier than I thought it would be. I set a forwarder in DHCP and it works now.

dazie

Quote from: swolt on June 06, 2006, 03:10:01 PM
d'oh!

it was far easier than I thought it would be. I set a forwarder in DHCP and it works now.

You mean it was theoretically far easier than you theoretically thought it would be, because you theoretically set a forwarder in DHCP and it theoretically works now.  Right?
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

swolt

Quote from: dazie on June 06, 2006, 03:17:40 PM
d'oh!

You mean it was theoretically far easier than you theoretically thought it would be, because you theoretically set a forwarder in DHCP and it theoretically works now.  Right?

in theory

Listener

Quote from: swolt on June 06, 2006, 03:56:50 PM
Quote from: dazie on June 06, 2006, 03:17:40 PM
d'oh!

in theory

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708735/