News:

ever clean urine and wet dreams out of a t-rex's mouth

Main Menu

coverting midi to MP3

Started by swolt, November 29, 2005, 08:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swolt

i'm trying to burn a song for my aunt, "pass it on". I can only find it in Midi form. Does anyone know how to convert it from midi to wav?

I posted on TF and several posted how to do it but none of that worked for me
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

ignom

Quote from: ReBurn on November 29, 2005, 10:50:37 PM
Who sings it?

According to google, it's either Bob Marley, Everlast, Chaka Khan, or Alabama.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

swolt

Quote from: ignom on November 29, 2005, 11:14:41 PM
Who sings it?

it's a hymn...
A clever man commits no minor blunders.

ignom

Quote from: swolt on November 29, 2005, 11:15:28 PM
Quote from: ignom on November 29, 2005, 11:14:41 PM
Who sings it?

it's a hymn...

So Chaka Khan?
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

ReBurn

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

nishi

oh my god. 15 years of church choir and summer camp come raging back into my memory with a vengence.

i have to go sing abba songs now to get that out of my head.
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

VikingJuice

Quote from: swolt on November 29, 2005, 08:13:51 PM
i'm trying to burn a song for my aunt, "pass it on". I can only find it in Midi form. Does anyone know how to convert it from midi to wav?

I posted on TF and several posted how to do it but none of that worked for me

I seem to recall a program called Neo Audio that had that feature but I could be mistaken.  Be careful to clear your computer after though because it loads spyware onto your computer.

meredith

I'm not sure how much you know about the differences between the two formats... MIDI only defines songs as play note X on instrument Y, but does not include the actual sound, where WAV, MP3, etc. are known as Pulse Code Modulated, they're designed to store the actual sounds by storing a series of values indicating the amplitude of the sound at each sampling point.

Back in the day, computers played MIDI files by producing each note as a combined sound from a handful of basic waveforms (sine, square, triangle, and so on).  Boy did it sound like crap.  Later we got wavetable support that put us more in line with the hardware musicians use.  Using a wavetable, the sound card has prerecorded samples of instrument Y playing a single note, and it knows how to modify the sample to produce any needed note.  Slightly further on, it became cheaper to simply have the CPU do the wavetable processing, instead of using the sound card and requiring flash memory on the card.  So you need something to read each note from the MIDI file and record the stream of samples it would normally play on the speakers.

You might have a "loopback" recording device you can enable in the Windows volume controls, then you can make your recording by hand.  It looks like there are a few good hits on this google search, maybe even a web-based converter.

Mr. Ubiquity

http://midconverter.com/download.shtml

might have better luck posting the file in the dump, letting people listen to it and see if they can go from there.   no lyrics?
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

Beefy

Just need a little elbow grease.