News:

STFU & GBTW

Main Menu

Time to get excited

Started by Beef, September 15, 2005, 11:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beefy

It looks positively awesome.  Keep your eyes peeled for that last shot.

http://movies.aol.com/movie_exclusive_harry_potter_goblet_clip

Bishamonten

You're talking about the movie right?  Not my inappropriate erection after seeing the clip?

Listener

Quote from: Beefy on September 15, 2005, 11:42:39 AM

http://movies.aol.com/movie_exclusive_harry_potter_goblet_clip

I'm totally looking forward to this movie, don't get me wrong, but:

a.  I didn't think the book was as strong as PoA or OotP
b.  The book is so long that a lot of good stuff is going to have to be cut out of the movie
c.  I've heard... things... that say this one's not going to be as good.

But I'll still be there for the latest showing possible the very day it opens.  Or the midnight show, if they do one.  Along with Episode 3 and Serenity, this was one of my 3 must-see movies of 2005.

I did read that the Dursleys were completely removed from the film, which means that the opening I choreographed will never see the light of day:

We start with the WB logo, fading up on a ticking clock that grows louder and louder until, on the sixth or seventh tick, the camera moves through the WB logo and fades into a clock on a table. Pull back from that to see the Dursleys and Harry sitting in the living room of 4 Privet Drive, with Harry's trunk and Hedwig sitting near the stairs. Every few ticks, we see another person's face, and the camera is continually moving (very slightly, slow zooms in or out by only a few inches or so) a la the end of Star Trek II, when the Genesis wave is going to catch the Enterprise and Spock is busy sacrificing himself to save the ship.

Eventually, we get to 12:05 in the afternoon. Uncle Vernon makes some sort of remark about the lateness of Harry's friends, Harry defends them, and we go back to waiting. This whole thing, from the WB logo to the comment, has taken less than 30 seconds.

There is a dim flash of green light from the fireplace. Vernon gets to his feet quickly, Petunia behind him, Harry next. A muffled mild curse. Then another flash, and an oof. Now Mr. and Mrs. Weasley are stuck behind the false fireplace, but of course we haven't seen them. Arthur tells Molly to go back and stop Fred and George from coming through, but it's too late. Arthur blows away the false fireplace and they all come out of it.

As in the book, Arthur and Molly make nice while Fred and George load Harry's things into the fireplace and send them to the Burrow. One of them, as in the book, accidentally drops some candy, which Dudley filches before Fred or George can scoop all of it up. Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia are upset, so after Fred and George floo back to The Burrow, Harry prepares to go. As in the book (seeing a pattern here?), Uncle Vernon doesn't give Harry much of a send-off, so Arthur Weasley complains and Vernon says something civil to Harry.

It is then that they all notice something is wrong with Dudley's tongue. Vernon gets pissed, Petunia gets scared, and Arthur says to Harry that he should get back, that he'll fix this. Harry, laughing, takes a handful of floo powder, throws it into the fireplace, yells for The Burrow, and jumps in.

The last thing we see before the flash of green light is Arthur grappling with Vernon to try and fix Dudley, from Harry's POV. Then when the light flashes and colors start whirling, we see the Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire logo.

The colors crossfade out to Harry, Ron, Fred, George, Hermione, and Ginny trooping up the hill to where the Portkey to the Quidditch World Cup is. Arthur makes a passing remark about Fred and George's business ventures, about how mad Molly was, et al.

Originally posted here.

ignom

Quote from: Beefy on September 15, 2005, 11:42:39 AM

Nosferatu?
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

Beefy

I guess I don't care that much if they leave stuff out.  We've firmly established that books and films are not the same media.  You can only use a book as a template.  If GoF kept everything in it would have to be spread across two full films.

The films need to bust out of their formula just as much as the books do, so if they mix it up a bit I won't mind.  I'm excited to see how the films incorporate honest to goodness evil into the mix.  Finally.

ReBurn

Evil?  Is Harry Potter running for political office in this one?
11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Mr. Ubiquity

Quote from: Bishamonten on September 15, 2005, 11:57:13 AM
You're talking about the movie right?  Not my inappropriate erection after seeing the clip?

depends, is it from Ron, Malfoy, the twins, Her-hiney, or harry himself?
"if I wank to it, will u feel disgusted or flattered or a perverse combo of both?"

eo000

eo000

eo000

eo000

eo000

eo000

that last one is more than a little creepy.

dazie

We should try and do a Junto HP movie weekend.  Watch 1-3, then go to the theatre and see 4.

eo can dress up as Cho or something.
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

Listener

Quote from: dazie on September 23, 2005, 06:52:43 AM
We should try and do a Junto HP movie weekend.  Watch 1-3, then go to the theatre and see 4.

If only we all lived closer together.

I really want to open a Quidditch Jersey Company... I bet that would make some mad bank.

ignom

Quote from: Listener on September 23, 2005, 08:33:50 AM

If only we all lived closer together.

I really want to open a Quidditch Jersey Company... I bet that would make some mad bank.

I would rob your bank.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

cnamon

Can I still come but be in the other room watching Sex and the City?

Listener

Interesting unintended easter egg for HP3:

In the Hippogriff scene, when they do the wide shot of Buckbeak, Hagrid, and Harry, when Harry's first starting to walk over there (I think), Buckbeak poops.  One of my friends noticed it and called me immediately.

I guess the real horse they were using -- that they CGI'd for the long shots, anyway -- must have had to go really badly, and no one noticed it.

UPDATE:  According to IMDB:

During the scene where we first meet Buckbeak the Hippogriff, just after Ron pushes Harry forward there is a shot of the animal pooping. The CGI team believes this might be the first example of a CGI animal doing this, but the Discovery Channel miniseries "Walking with Dinosaurs" (1999) had done it first.

meredith

Quote from: Listener on September 23, 2005, 08:43:27 AM
One of my friends noticed it and called me immediately.

I noticed it but I certainly didn't feel it was something to grab my phone over.  I figured they wanted more realism.

Ask your friend to calm down.

Listener

Quote from: hattmoward on September 23, 2005, 10:48:29 AM

I noticed it but I certainly didn't feel it was something to grab my phone over.  I figured they wanted more realism.

I totally didn't notice it.

I just thought it was funny is all.

meredith

Quote from: Listener on September 23, 2005, 11:25:46 AM

Poop is serious stuff.

heh, poop.

Listener

Quote from: hattmoward on September 23, 2005, 11:28:30 AM
Quote from: Listener on September 23, 2005, 11:25:46 AM

Poop is serious stuff.

heh, poop.

Jessie

I'm so excited
And I just can't hide it
I'm about to lose control
And I think I like it
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.