News:

11/9/05: Bennyhana hits the 100,000th post. Way to go, Benny! Your real doll should arrive shortly.

Main Menu

Land of the Dead trailer!!!

Started by Beef, April 28, 2005, 06:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishamonten

Beefy

Beefy

Beefy

Beefy

:zombie: ONE HOUR!!! :zombie:

And off to the theater I go...  ;D

Beefy

Beefy

Gamplayerx

I certainly hope you've mailed off eo's royalty check.

Jessie

We saw it yesterday.

Ewwww.

It was so gross that it made me retch, flinch, and giggle.

we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Number 6

i have never been more upset in my life

i give up on all modern horror films

even when great people make them

Beefy

Quote from: Number 6 on June 26, 2005, 08:32:46 PM
i have never been more upset in my life

i give up on all modern horror films

even when great people make them

I'm guessing Number 6 did not approve.

I thought it went to the place it needed to following the logical thematic progression of the others.  There were moments that were cornball, as there were in each of them, but every time I thought it was going to crash and burn into stupidity it got itself back on course.  It was, once again, not so much about zombies as it was about social commentary.  It did play out more like an action flick and was much more quickly paced.  And yes, speaking as someone who has seen way too many zombie flicks, it did manage to come up with some zombie gore scenes I had never seen before.

So, not up to the original Dawn of the Dead's standards, but I'd put it above Day of the Dead.

Oh, and I bet there will be no more iconic of a visual in any film this year then when the zombies emerge from the river.  Beautifully shot and made me stop breathing for a moment.

And, since the film recuperated 2/3 of its budget in the first three days, there's a good chance we might not have seen the end of the line yet.

Concerning Romero, let's be honest.  Aside from his Dead films, none of which are completely perfect, he's never been a consistently reliable director.  It's like Tobe Hooper doing Texas Chainsaw and then never managing that level of skill again.

In my opinion, the GREAT zombie film has yet to be done.  Night of the Living Dead comes amazingly close, but I think it can still be done better.

LOTD was the deepest film, thematically speaking, I've seen this summer.  Perhaps this year.

The more I think of it, the more I want to see it again.  Unlike, say, Batman Begins, which gets worse and worse upon reflection.

ignom

Did anybody else think that one of the zombies looked like one of the biker guys that looted the mall in Dawn of the Dead?

I just looked it up. Tom Savini.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.

ReBurn

Quote from: Jessie on June 26, 2005, 08:20:57 PM
We saw it yesterday.

Ewwww.

It was so gross that it made me retch, feltch, and giggle.

11:42:24 [Gamplayerx] I keep getting knocked up.
11:42:28 [Gamplayerx] Er. OUT!

Number 6

Quote from: ignom on June 26, 2005, 09:07:27 PM
Did anybody else think that one of the zombies looked like one of the biker guys that looted the mall in Dawn of the Dead?

it was the exact same character from Dawn....and the only reoccuring character in the entire series....it was thought up while George and Tom were doing the commentary for the Dawn DVD.....a little cheesy but a nice shout out to the original

i suppose i was a bit quick with my original statemnet...

i did not like the film.....i did not like the fast pace and the concentration on action....but i also know that this is how horror films need to be these days (this just makes me think of the horrible things they will do to Death Race 2000).....i also felt that the gore was lacking (although you are right there were some rather creative parts.....i guess i wanted to see more of a Fulci/Gordon Lewis gore fest....and that would be my fault).....esp since it was rated 'R'......

i do have to admit....as i did to my buddy upon walking out of the theater.....if Romero was to release another zombie film or anything for that matter....i would be there opening day with a huge smile on my face

i would also support anything with the name Argento in it

Jessie

You know, if the world really were being taken over by zombies, I don't think it's too far off on assuming how society might break down.

In fact, it's probably dead on.

Heh, I said dead.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

Quote from: Number 6 on June 27, 2005, 11:31:18 AM
Quote from: ignom on June 26, 2005, 09:07:27 PM

it was the exact same character from Dawn....and the only reoccuring character in the entire series....it was thought up while George and Tom were doing the commentary for the Dawn DVD.....a little cheesy but a nice shout out to the original

i suppose i was a bit quick with my original statemnet...

i did not like the film.....i did not like the fast pace and the concentration on action....but i also know that this is how horror films need to be these days (this just makes me think of the horrible things they will do to Death Race 2000).....i also felt that the gore was lacking (although you are right there were some rather creative parts.....i guess i wanted to see more of a Fulci/Gordon Lewis gore fest....and that would be my fault).....esp since it was rated 'R'......

i do have to admit....as i did to my buddy upon walking out of the theater.....if Romero was to release another zombie film or anything for that matter....i would be there opening day with a huge smile on my face

i would also support anything with the name Argento in it

I wonder if teh studio drove the decision to make it a quicker film, or perhaps that's just how Romero wrote it.

Supposedly quite a bit of gore got cut but will be placed back in on the DVD.  There were still several truly gross moments.  I don't think you could get away with Fulci level gore in an American R-rated film.  I think you're more likely to see that in a Lions Gate type release.  Heck, even High Tension had gore cut down for U.S. audiences.

I used to be obsessed with Argento and Fulci.  Argento's output has gotten worse with age, though.  And my Fulci interest subsided as I got older.  I still have a few laying around.

nallen

I saw Land of the Dead last night, and I gotta say I liked it a lot.   I think the pace of the film was a little quick, but there was a lot of plot to get in, so I believe it was unavoidable. 

As for the thematic style, Romero stays with the horror film as social commentary, which I appreciate.  I am not a fan of gore for the sake of gore, it's comes off as pointless.   There are bits of zombie gore to be sure, but it actually comes off as character development and plot related (often with stinging social messages thrown)

I see the film as an allegory about the place of America in the world.  A wealthy few, living surrounded by water on two sides, and a fenced off defended boarder to the south.  The wealthy carefree leaders, who give the poor all the vices they need to keep them inline, and believe that they are upholding a responsibility.   Then the poor of the humans are sent out with over welming fire power to take resources from the only creatures with less than they (in this case the Dead.)   The rich get the benefits of this, and the poor get to live.   But eventually the poorest come calling and get organized.  Even talk of escape to Canada!
May the Magic Plastic bless you and keep you.