News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Main Menu

Fantastic pasta sauce

Started by Jessie, April 12, 2007, 05:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamplayerx

Quote from: BigDun on May 06, 2007, 05:05:08 PM
Quote from: Beefy on May 06, 2007, 04:28:01 PM
Quote from: BigDun on May 05, 2007, 10:48:28 PM
from your neighborhood grocery store's olive bar

I don't think I've ever encountered such a thing.

Our Safeway and Super Fresh have them. The Schnucks in Memphis has them too.
All of our grocery stores do, except for Trader Joe's.

Alice

We don't have olive bars.  I've never even heard of them.

Jessie

Never heard of them, and don't care to.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Gamplayerx

If you had good olives, you might change your tune.

nishi

hampla, i seem to remember that jessie is ixnay on the olivesay
"we left the motherland to settle a colony on Juntoo.  hats with belt buckles."
-catchr

<- this is a prankapple.

Jessie

Olives, much like coffee, are gross.
we should have kept the quote pyramid up to rape Jessie in the face.

Beefy

I like olives, but any food left out open to the public for extended periods of time worries me.

Gamplayerx

Nah, they're in brine.  All publicness is thwarted.

JJ

This one time we went to a restaurant and were given olives in a small ceramic bowl as an appetizer. They were the most amazing olives ever. Super fruity tasting, not too salty, not too harsh, a nice light purple color.

I used to hate the idea of olives, but that was before I knew what they really could be. All I had ever had were disgusting green commercial olives and really bad black olives.

Eventually I had some real olives and all was good.

What's in a name?

dazie

I got what hinted at being really good olives a while back- big greek ones stuffed with bleu cheese.

OMG they were gross.  I was so disappointed.

Other than that though, I've never eaten an olive I didn't like- even the green ones with pimiento inside.  (my mom told me the red was bird tongues.  Best way EVER to get a kid to eat olives)
"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
I think so, Brain, but how will we get the Spice Girls into the paella?

JJ

Quote from: dazie on May 07, 2007, 08:30:00 AM
I got what hinted at being really good olives a while back- big greek ones stuffed with bleu cheese.

Other than that though, I've never eaten an olive I didn't like- even the green ones with pimiento inside.  (my mom told me the red was bird tongues.  Best way EVER to get a kid to eat olives)

There's a brand from california called Mezzetta. They make these almond stuffed green olives in white wine with lemon and herbs. So the jar has a lemon slice at the bottom, has basil and whatever else floating in it, and the olives each have a blanched almond in the middle. They are in.cred.i.ble. OMG I haven't thought about those for a while. They're soooooo effin' good. Try some if you can.

dazie

Quote from: JJ on May 07, 2007, 08:44:50 AM
Quote from: dazie on May 07, 2007, 08:30:00 AM

There's a brand from california called Mezzetta. They make these almond stuffed green olives in white wine with lemon and herbs. So the jar has a lemon slice at the bottom, has basil and whatever else floating in it, and the olives each have a blanched almond in the middle. They are in.cred.i.ble. OMG I haven't thought about those for a while. They're soooooo effin' good. Try some if you can.

Have you tried the garlic stuffed ones from Santa Barbara Olive Co?  They're good too.  The jalapeno stuffed ones are fantastic sliced on pizza.

Damn.  Now I want olives.

Alice

I made the best dirty martini ever once.  I drained half the brine out of a jar of olives, filled it up with vodka and let them sit for awhile.  Made the dirty martini 3 weeks later unbelievably good.

dazie

ooo- that sounds really good.

Damn.  Now I want a martini too!